Patient

Joined Jul 9, 2022
IIRC anything above 50V may be considered potentially dangerous and body current above 50mA can be fatal in susceptible people.
The medical device basically provides a small current across a small skin surface of my body as the load.

I limit the current through a Pot (variac) from 0 to 23 mA. I cannot tolerate a current more than 23 mA. I rotate the POT to adjust current starting from 0 to as much as I can tolerate. 23 mA at 72.4 volt dc across the skin surface is the max current that I can tolerate which is sufficient for me.
I had tried to push through 23 mA across the skin with a much lower voltage than 72V but it doesn't work. It needs minimum 70V plus to create a current path across the skin patch.

The problem is the 72V transformer for the input makes me stay hooked onto ac supply line at home but i want to be mobile while taking the therapy. That's possible with a standalone dc supply source. So I was hoping to drive the device with a mobile phone powerbank. A small standalone dc voltage source which can be amplified to 72 volt ac or dc will serve my purpose

Last edited:

Patient

Joined Jul 9, 2022
I'm not comfortable doing that. The risks are too great.
I have been using the device for more than 12 years now. It works fine. Never had any incident. The current just moves through a small skin section of 4 inches in length from point A to B in one arm only. No way it can circulate through the entire body or can go through heart etc. ***There is zero risk here*** I have been using it once in every 15 days for 30 minutes for many years now

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have been using the device for more than 12 years now. It works fine. Never had any incident. The current just moves through a small skin section of 4 inches in length from point A to B in one arm only. No way it can circulate through the entire body or can go through heart etc. ***There is zero risk here*** I have been using it once in every 15 days for 30 minutes for many years now
I don't care. I'd rather disappoint you by refusing to help than failing to meet your expectations.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I have done medical electronics for years and there is a large group of lawyers on staff. Right now, (not doing medical) I am not covered for that type of liability.

I am playing with a 75V 25mA supply. I don't have the current limit working yet. I am not comfortable with a "pot". I think it needs two levels of current limit. Pot being one of them.

I have looked at little handheld boxes that shock. There is controversy over if they work. Do not want to talk about that.
I see we have disagreement over "save". At 25mA it is probably OK but I worry about the one that dies from any cause and the relatives get the layers out. I am thinking about what trouble there will be. Bottom line, you can not afford just one.

I thought the boxes I looked at years ago ran off a 9 volt battery. I think I have some in storage. I will go look if there is time.

Patient

Joined Jul 9, 2022
I
I have done medical electronics for years and there is a large group of lawyers on staff. Right now, (not doing medical) I am not covered for that type of liability.

I am playing with a 75V 25mA supply. I don't have the current limit working yet. I am not comfortable with a "pot". I think it needs two levels of current limit. Pot being one of them.

I have looked at little handheld boxes that shock. There is controversy over if they work. Do not want to talk about that.
I see we have disagreement over "save". At 25mA it is probably OK but I worry about the one that dies from any cause and the relatives get the layers out. I am thinking about what trouble there will be. Bottom line, you can not afford just one.

I thought the boxes I looked at years ago ran off a 9 volt battery. I think I have some in storage. I will go look if there is time.
Great... I just need a small standalone battery pack like that of a mobile phone powerbank that can drive the device (so need a step up circuit to 72v (70v to 75v is ok) with a 25mA current limit

Last edited:

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I cannot offer assistance though after reading the posts, I am curious of the device model number and it's exact application. Providing these details may help other users understand as well so they can better advise to a solution that is safe and practical.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
help other users understand
I do not know this case but........
There are many forms of "electricity for healing/pain relief". I have seen electricity used with muscle therapy massage. The tingling feeling helps something. Every person has a different idea as to how it works, I don't care. People are willing to pay money for treatments.
The 10 to 25mA is not placed across the heart but along muscles. Less safe versions have been used for 100 years back to hand crank generators.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I do not know this case but........
There are many forms of "electricity for healing/pain relief". I have seen electricity used with muscle therapy massage. The tingling feeling helps something. Every person has a different idea as to how it works, I don't care. People are willing to pay money for treatments.
The 10 to 25mA is not placed across the heart but along muscles. Less safe versions have been used for 100 years back to hand crank generators.
I think we have all heard of 'Dr. Ho's pain therapy' haha. Always thought he was the mad scientist type but after years of being on TV it must work or be an excellent placebo.

My cousin is in a chair and uses a similar device to stimulate circulation as well as move muscles so they stay strong even though he can't feel them.

Interesting branch of science. Seems dangerous to me though because if my 555 circuit is subject to noise then surely my body is as well!