Spice Model of Power Grid

Friz

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I was trying to simulate the power grid. I was looking for a model that simulates a power grid with the resistance and noise that is given by the earth ground. I figured that the power companies will have to have some model that takes the noise into affect. I could not turn up anything on the internet. Does anyone know where I should look?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I don't think noise or resistance of the earth ground has any significant effect on the power line, since no power current travels through the ground, thus it is not modeled for transmission line simulation.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think noise or resistance of the earth ground has any significant effect on the power line, since no power current travels through the ground, thus it is not modeled for transmission line simulation.
Depends on the system. Consider a HVDC monoline -- ALL of the power current travels through the ground.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I was trying to simulate the power grid. I was looking for a model that simulates a power grid with the resistance and noise that is given by the earth ground. I figured that the power companies will have to have some model that takes the noise into affect. I could not turn up anything on the internet. Does anyone know where I should look?
There was some work done a few years ago at the U.S. Air Force Academy (the Academy Center for Cyberspace Research) that was aimed at developing a pretty detailed model of the U.S. power grid, though if memory serves it was done in Matlab. You might contact them and get a copy of whatever publications (including internal tech reports) came out of that. If nothing else, the references should provide possible places to seek further information.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The modeling of any power grid is extremely complicated. But how much simplification you can get away with depends on what you are trying to do. I have no idea how sophisticated the model would have to be in order to get meaningful simulation results for the kind of noise injection that the TS is looking at, but I suspect it is not trivial.