speed control of dc motor

itsmyturn

Joined Feb 15, 2005
i tried to control the speed of the line-following-robot (at the turnings)using pulse width modulation. but it did'nt work out well. actually, i am planning in such a way that the speed of the robot should decrease continuously from a certain distance b4 the turn ( for eg. it should keep on decreasing speed from 10 cm away from the turn) .can anybody suggest an idea for the speed control and the prediction of the turn ?????

Originally posted by itsmyturn@Mar 23 2005, 11:07 PM
i tried to control the speed of the line-following-robot (at the turnings)using pulse width modulation. but it did'nt work out well. actually, i am planning in such a way that the speed of the robot should decrease continuously from a certain distance b4 the turn ( for eg. it should keep on decreasing speed from 10 cm away from the turn) .can anybody suggest an idea for the speed control and the prediction of the turn ?????
[post=6322]Quoted post[/post]​

I have designed line following robos earlier and also organised an event on it.., hmm., but wat ur trying is something nice and challenging.., Also u said PWM didnt work 4 u..,
I have even used PWM.., but it dosnt provide smooth control

All the designs built by us were Constant Speed Motors., so never tried a variable speed one., Well how abt using a stepper motor., and changing the delay for the step., this will help u control speed., but a very slow process.., i assume u r using a DC motor., so current control is necessary

Neat stuff..,
Will surely help u keep in touch., and do post in if u find anything tht worked 4 u
Dilu

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
In my limited experience with PWMs, I've learmed that a PWM drive works best with a motor that was designed to be driven by a PWM. Make sure that your motor matches the drive. That said, what is it that tells the drive or robot to slow down as it approached the turn?