SPDT Switch Wiring confusion?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Hello,i have one of these SPDT switches connected to transformer to power it on/off now I would like to make the light work on it but cant figure out how to wire it properly.I want to have it light on when I use the switch so I know that its working.

My ideas:

Version 2 probably wont work since it not really connected to anything.

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
What is the part number of the switch? Usually, the light is connected to the actuator and a stationary contact, meaning the light will turn on when the switch is in the on position, assuming you are putting a large enough voltage across it.

Also, it is advisable to wire your switch across live, not neutral. For one, your transformer winding my be dropping the voltage enough to prevent the light from turning on. And two, if you turn off your switch, most of your circuit still has live connected to it, meaning you can be shocked touching anything copper.

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
You should be switching the hot line, not the neutral. The light will then be tied to neutral. If you check, you should find the light connected between the center tab and one end. Test with an ohm-meter.

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
The wiring diagram you pulled from the forum makes no sense. The light will have either neutral or live across both contacts, it will never turn on.

My suggestion would be to wire the utility live to the contact immediately beneath the O (the off arm of the switch actuator) and the transformer winding to the contact immediately beneath your switch actuator or the rocker.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Diagram looks good. (POST 4)
Bottom line is neutral. (same for 120vac)

edit:
If it's a SPST switch with pilot.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No1 you should not be switching the neutral, the line is switched to control the equipment and the neutral is connected to the lamp terminal on the switch.
Do not connect any ground wire.
Max.