Spartan-3E LCD

Teeda

Joined Dec 15, 2006
i have some problem using the Spartan-3E LCD. I have read through Data sheet but still can't figure out how to use it. Is anyone using the same board? can give me a simple VHDL code on how to display a character on the board?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
but if possible, i wish to avoid of using PicoBlaze.
Is there anny reason as to why you wish to avoid using PicoBlaze?

If you are looking to implement the LCD dislay using hardware you will probably need to look at implementing a memory sub-system that holds your characters that you will be displaying on the LCD as well as a series of control signals to drive the LCD display.

Dave

Teeda

Joined Dec 15, 2006
Is there anny reason as to why you wish to avoid using PicoBlaze?

If you are looking to implement the LCD dislay using hardware you will probably need to look at implementing a memory sub-system that holds your characters that you will be displaying on the LCD as well as a series of control signals to drive the LCD display.

Dave
cause my project supervisor (lecturer) said that, when involve with PicoBlaze, it will be more difficult to use or to write the program. Hence he recommend that don't use the PicoBlaze.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
There is an assembler from Xilinx (KCPSM3). This is command line only. There is also a system generator from Xilinx. This is a graphical model for DSP application with Simulink models and also KCPSM3 assembler.

You could also go third party, with something like pBlazIDE which is an assembler. There is also an experimental free C compiler, PCCOMP.

To obtain the syntax and instructions for each of the tool just go to their respective website.

The choice is yours.

Teeda

Joined Dec 15, 2006
I have found an example program. this is the link, and i hv download the file and try to load it in to the program. But inside the folder it contains a lots of file. Do anyone know that which file should I add it in? How should i do it? Should I open a new project and add all the file in?
Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

Below is a link:
http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/s3estarter/reference_designs.htm

and this is the file that I want to try it out:
PicoBlaze Real Time Clock

Can help me to have a look?
Thanks for all the help.

Teeda

Joined Dec 15, 2006
I have download the file, and unzip it. I found that, 2 files is missing. Hence, I can't load this program to my Spartan-3E board. Did anyone have try to load this program to the board and run it before?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
What files are missing? I don't think the packaged example from Xilinx is missing any file. Have you assembled the code in the supplied *.psm file first? Which assembler are you using?

Read this PicoBlaze manual for more information.