Sparkfun Servo Trigger - Programming ATtiny84a from Arduino as ISP with Atmel Studios 7

Spankyty

Joined Jul 24, 2018
I cannot seem to program the ATtiny84a with Atmel Studios 7 with an Arduino Uno as the programmer. I got Atmel Studios 7. I opened the Sparkfun Servo Trigger solution. It asked me to upgrade or something so I said yes. I do not have a programmer but I do have an Arduino Uno with an ATMEGA328P chip. I uploaded the example ArduinoISP code to the Uno with no code changes.

Now in Atmel Studios, I went to Project>Device>ATtiny84A.
Then, I created an external tool with the arguments:
Code:
-p t84 -c arduino -P COM3 -b 115200 -v -D -U flash:w:"$(OutDir)Debug\$(TargetName).hex":i
I connect the Arduino Uno pins 5v, GND, and 10-13 to the ISP pins on the ServoTrigger board.
What happens now is annoying.
Code:
             System wide configuration file is "D:\avrdude-6.3-mingw32\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
             Using Programmer              : arduino
             Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude.exe: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
This goes on all the way to 10 and just says thank you at the end...
But then I remove the 10uF cap, it works. But sometimes it does work with the capacitor... It's confusing. Sometimes I also need to click the Arduino reset button while uploading. Then it uploads. So just hitting the reset button on the Arduino fixes that problem. BUTTTT the next problem:

Once getting it to upload I get this:
Code:
 System wide configuration file is "D:\avrdude-6.3-mingw32\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
             Using Programmer              : arduino
             Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
             AVR Part                      : ATtiny84
             Chip Erase delay              : 4500 us
             PAGEL                         : P00
             BS2                           : P00
             RESET disposition             : possible i/o
             RETRY pulse                   : SCK
             serial program mode           : yes
             parallel program mode         : yes
             Timeout                       : 200
             StabDelay                     : 100
             CmdexeDelay                   : 25
             SyncLoops                     : 32
             ByteDelay                     : 0
             PollIndex                     : 3
             PollValue                     : 0x53
             Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
               Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
               ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
               eeprom        65     6     4    0 no        512    4      0  4000  4500 0xff 0xff
               flash         65     6    32    0 yes      8192   64    128  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
               signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
               lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
               lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
               hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
               efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
               calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino
             Description     : Arduino
             Hardware Version: 3
             Firmware Version: 4.4
             Vtarget         : 0.3 V
             Varef           : 0.3 V
             Oscillator      : 28.800 kHz
             SCK period      : 3.3 us

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATtiny84 is 1E 93 0C
             Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.
I even override the check with -F and it uploaded again just without the check. It still seems to have not programmed the attiny84a though... So I am lost.

Spankyty

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Turns out, there was a short on the SCK pin. dunno how or where. I also had a second board, the 16MHZ SMD clock was not soldered on correctly... (My first time with SMD) The third board I think I just locked up with the fuse bits. Oops, luckily I bought 9 extra :D since I knew I was going to screw up. Anyways, I got it to work as long as I solder a lot nicer and use the Arduino IDE to burn the bootloader fuses then use CMD to flash the compiled hex code.