Solenoid control

Xefro

Joined Dec 17, 2014
Hey guys, I have a 12v negative triggered solenoid that I need to power.

When the solenoid receives the ground signal I need it to go to full voltage for 2 seconds and then drop down to 400hz 60% duty cycle until the ground signal is removed to avoid burning up the solenoid.

What would be the best way to accomplish this?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you mean that you want to apply 12Vdc to the solenoid for the first two seconds, and then reduce the current through the solenoid to 60% of the initial current?

All you have is one input? What is it? A switch contact to ground?

Xefro

Joined Dec 17, 2014
Do you mean that you want to apply 12Vdc to the solenoid for the first two seconds, and then reduce the current through the solenoid to 60% of the initial current?

All you have is one input? What is it? A switch contact to ground?
Correct on both accounts.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is how I would do this:

The simulated "switch to ground" closes at 0.1s, and opens at 4.1s.

108.gif

This shows a close up of the solenoid current during PWM. Note the freq, duty cycle, and average current... I used 6Ω as the solenoid resistance, so the current initially is 2A. 1.27/2 is 63% during PWM.

108a.gif

Last edited:

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
If all you want is to ensure that the solenoid receives full power to fire initially and then reduced power to hold it in place without burning out; you could try fitting an 8 Ohm 10W resistor paralleled with a large >=10,000uF electrolytic capacitor, in series with the solenoid.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If all you want is to ensure that the solenoid receives full power to fire initially and then reduced power to hold it in place without burning out; you could try fitting an 8 Ohm 10W resistor paralleled with a large >=10,000uF electrolytic capacitor, in series with the solenoid.
It will take a huge capacitor, and then the current profile is still an RC time constant, where it spends very little time near the peak current. Also, R1 has to be a 10W resistor (also huge).108c.gif

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is presumably a AC solenoid? why can't you use a DC solenoid and avoid the burn out problems, an AC solenoid should normally never see a reduced voltage.
Max.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Yes, I believe I already said the resistor should be rated at 10W, which I would not consider "Huge", Nor would the capacitor be "Huge" due to its low voltage rating.

It's just a suggestion, something the OP could try if he just wants a simple solution rather than an electronics project.