Solenoid control enquiry

semsemhts

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Hello every one I've a solenoid 24v dc and I want to have a continuous reciprocating move Forward & Reverse with adjustable speed regulator.
Waiting for your help .. Thanks alot

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
First, if it's a simple solenoid, you can only control motion in one direction. In or out. Mechanical means are necessary to return the solenoid to its starting position*.

Note that solenoids are relatively slow devices and current hungry. If you drive them with an astable miltivibrator, you will need driver circuitry to actually power the solenoid and protect the oscillator from back end.

* there are dual solenoid devices for reciprocating motion.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Usually a proportional valve is used for position and/or speed control of a cyclinder/solenoid etc.
If hydraulics are not present then a motorized linear actuator might be the answer, you can achieve the motion you state in the OP.
Max.

semsemhts

Joined Mar 17, 2014
First, if it's a simple solenoid, you can only control motion in one direction. In or out. Mechanical means are necessary to return the solenoid to its starting position*.

Note that solenoids are relatively slow devices and current hungry. If you drive them with an astable miltivibrator, you will need driver circuitry to actually power the solenoid and protect the oscillator from back end.

* there are dual solenoid devices for reciprocating motion.
well ,, Yes it is very simple solenoid just two cables , 24v dc

Thanks

semsemhts

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Usually a proportional valve is used for position and/or speed control of a cyclinder/solenoid etc.
If hydraulics are not present then a motorized linear actuator might be the answer, you can achieve the motion you state in the OP.
Max.
well , I want it to be powerful and fast maybe 10 times per min

Thanks

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That air operated pump likely generates a very large amount of force to pump grease and would thus require a very large solenoid.
I agree with Max, that something like a screw driven linear motor would work better to drive the piston.