Solar Superstorm July 23rd 2012

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm

Once again we avoid disaster, if it ain't giant rocks, it's the Sun. Sometimes I feel like we're ants under a Magnifying glass of the Universe.

July 23, 2012: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.

Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.

"If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces," says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.

kv

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Extreme solar activity (sunspots and flares) is a well known phenomenon which can cause problems with power and communication on earth. I've got a couple of books on the subject of sunspots and flares and although these phenomena are a bit frightening, they are not something to lose any sleep over.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Extreme solar activity (sunspots and flares) is a well known phenomenon which can cause problems with power and communication on earth. I've got a couple of books on the subject of sunspots and flares and although these phenomena are a bit frightening, they are not something to lose any sleep over.
Ya, they said it would have those issues, in this case I believe it was on the order of around 3 Trillion to repair or replace transformers and such.

kv