Solar Panel 2x100 give me 3 amp

parmaja

Joined Jul 2, 2008
Hi, I bought 2 solar panels 100watt 20v with 5amp max at sticker (mono), I connected it in parallel.

It gave me (both) only 3.5 amp, and some time (after heating up) about 2 ampere, as I expected it should be more than 6 for both of it.
I measured it by millimeter with 10A (short circuit) directly for each panel, only about 1.5 amp for each
and I measured it both as short circuit too.

Is my panels are damaged, do I damaged it, my bad I have no warranty.
Is it kind of bad panels and the vendor cheated me?

Can Bypass diodes be broken and waste power?
do i need that bypass diodes with panel connected in parallel?

I read here in the forum and internet about solar panels and diodes but I am confused, what is my fault.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Lets go over how you measure these. By "both" do you mean both panels in parallel? Did you put your meter directly across the panel output to measure the short circuit current?

I would back up and measure each panel in turn. This checks if say one works but the other is stealing some current.

Also, what does the open circuit voltage read?

The diode is a series diode between the raw solar panel and it's output. While this is a source of power loss it is typically part of the panel. It is actually common to use a solar panel to directly charge a lead acid battery directly just depending on this diode to keep the battery from discharging at night back into the panel.

parmaja

Joined Jul 2, 2008
Lets go over how you measure these. By "both" do you mean both panels in parallel? Did you put your meter directly across the panel output to measure the short circuit current?
Yes, and i am afraid that damaged my panel?

But i measured it alone, each one, one gave me 1.8 other 2.2amp maximum

Also, what does the open circuit voltage read?
Open voltage 21v

N11778

Joined Dec 4, 2015
the sun must be 90 deg to the panel.
My 100W panels Put out 60W new and 5 years later 35 to 50 W
Also the wattage was taken at 14v charging the batteries, not shorted I never tested them shorted so I don't know.
panel current at 14v was 3 to 4 amps depending on which of 45 panels I was testing

Sun and Panel.JPG

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Connecting a short across a solar panel is the recommended way to make it safe for maintenance. It will cause no damage to the panel.

Member N11778 Just posted his solar system he has been running for several years. He also reports the actual power he gets is around 40% of the exaggerated marketing spec.

I suggest you make nice to him then ask him a boat load of questions. ;-)