SMPS at the spark input supply

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Hi

Dear All we are going to use SMPS power supply for the rotatable lantern.
SMPS is fixed in side the lantern to supply 12V for bulbs (12V bulbs)
There are 300 12v 3W bulbs
We used several SMPS accordant to the power requirement
Since lantern is rotating we are planing to use Flasher Drum to supply SMPS supply voltage (230V)

My question is

Since Flasher drum continuously getting spark so
Can SMPS be damaged ?
Is there any solution ?

Please advice

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi

Dear All we are going to use SMPS power supply for the rotatable lantern.
SMPS is fixed in side the lantern to supply 12V for bulbs (12V bulbs)
There are 300 12v 3W bulbs
We used several SMPS accordant to the power requirement
Since lantern is rotating we are planing to use Flasher Drum to supply SMPS supply voltage (230V)

My question is

Since Flasher drum continuously getting spark so
Can SMPS be damaged ?
Is there ant solution ?

Please advice
That is a good question. You don't normally investigate the turn-off and turn-on regimes. Many SMPS will have a soft turn on cycle that ramps the output voltage up slowly. My first thought is that repeated on-off cycles could potentially damage the core material of the inductor without such protections. I'm not sure if damage is possible when the input voltage drops for a short period. I'd have to look at one or more devices. My sense is that turn off is easier than an uncontrolled turn on.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Contact the manufacturer of your device to see if sparking will damage it. Or if you want a different unit, I think "slip ring" is the google term you need. One example:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13063

These are commercially available in all shapes and sizes. It is possible for electrical noise to damage a SMPS, such as noise from sparking, but you can probably mitigate the risk with proper filtering. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can chime in and fill in the gaps.

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Contact the manufacturer of your device to see if sparking will damage it. Or if you want a different unit, I think "slip ring" is the google term you need. One example:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13063

These are commercially available in all shapes and sizes. It is possible for electrical noise to damage a SMPS, such as noise from sparking, but you can probably mitigate the risk with proper filtering. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can chime in and fill in the gaps.
Hi,

This may be a solution for some extend which I am not knowing previously. As well as it is kind of solution in mechanical .
In addition
Can we able have a solution by fixing 4700uF 400v two capacitor after rectification,I mean grater than existing

As well as I would happy to make a Slip Ring (DIY) .So we have copper tube and lathe machines. So then we can easily make slip ring .
SO my question is .
Can I able to take out the connection from slip ring using carbon brunch like BDCM Motor
Please advice

Last edited:

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I don't know the answers to your question, but you may get some information from buying one of the commercially available slip rings and taking a look at how it was made. If you don't need a whole lot of them, and if there is a suitable one already on the market, my guess is it will be cheaper to buy it than make it.

For the spark filtering, you might have to do some experimenting after you choose or make your slip ring. Depending on the frequencies of the noise, you may need to mix a few different sized capacitors to clean it up. I'm sure this problem has been solved already, for example: https://www.moflon.com/showen29.html

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Probably many issues about sparks may be solved by induction recharge system usage? One coil in basement, other in lantern foot, and then any rotation of foot is acceptable.
Hi, I believe that induction recharge system still can not handle big current like 20A , What do you think ?

Last edited: