SMPS AC/DC 230V->35V Output Power 100W

leo0001

Joined Sep 30, 2018
Hi,

How convert 230V AC 50 Hz to 35V/2A5 with an SMPS ? Which topology ? I want to use an SMPS in order to save space. I was thinking about a forward converter and using the LT3752-1. Actually I have to rectified my AC input signal but I do not understand how the reserve capacitor after the rectifier and before the input of my smps will be less large. Can you please tell me why the capacitor will be less large ?

Thank you very much.

Léo

leo0001

Joined Sep 30, 2018
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but I want to learn how to do... However if you able to find me an SMPS which do what I want (output power 100 W from 230 VAC), I will be curious to know what is the topology used ! :D

Thanks,

Léo

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hi,

How convert 230V AC 50 Hz to 35V/2A5 with an SMPS ? Which topology ? I want to use an SMPS in order to save space. I was thinking about a forward converter and using the LT3752-1. Actually I have to rectified my AC input signal but I do not understand how the reserve capacitor after the rectifier and before the input of my smps will be less large. Can you please tell me why the capacitor will be less large ?
Thank you very much.
Léo
The LT3752 is an Active Clamp Synchronous Forward Controller.
And it is typically paired with an LT8311, which is the Synchronous Rectifier Controller.
These controllers are very complicated.
See the example circuit here :
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/3752fb.pdf

leo0001

Joined Sep 30, 2018
Hi Mvas,

Thank you for your reply :D I will do my best. I will simulate it with LTspice. If it seems to complicate I will stop but for the moment I will not forgave ! If you have an other solution to have an output of 100 W :D I will be happy to know it :D

Thank you !

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
As you don't sound to have a lot of experience in electronics, I would VERY STRONGLY advise you to not try to make your own switch mode mains supply. It is potentially lethal and very easy to kill yourself or others!
Switch mode supplies are very cheap now so just buy a ready built one and save yourself and others from danger.
If you want to try a switch mode supply, have a go at a 12V to 5V 100W isolated version and you will see it is not quite as straight forward as it may appear. Starting with a low volts one is a lot safer, but wear safety specs to protect your eyes from flying hot bits as you test the short circuit protection ;)

Last edited:

leo0001

Joined Sep 30, 2018
Hi, thanks for your replies ! :D

No, I will not be able to do it for less than 15 $. I would have appreciated if it was possible to see what topology is used into the link you sent me... But i didn't find the information...

Dendad, I appreciate your recommendation. I will do an isolate version and i'm not certain to do a 100 W output power. However I do no think that there is a risk to damage my self @ 35V. Danger occurs @ about 50 V. Am I wrong ? However I have still on the primary 230 VAC.

Thanks ,

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
However I have still on the primary 230 VAC.
The mains side is what I'm concerned about. That is where most of your circuitry will be. So, as I said in the above post, start with a low voltage version first, like using an existing a 12V or 24V supply to run your test version as that will be a lot safer to poke around in.
Ans if you do decide to try the mains one, please use an isolation transformer while you are working on it. And get yourself a Megga to check the isolation voltage breakdown between the primary and secondary sides of the supply.

leo0001

Joined Sep 30, 2018
Thank you for your advice ! For the moment I will just simulate it :D Then I will probably come back if I suceed to simulate it :D