Simulation S.P.I.C.E. Photodiode

Weiseste

Joined May 22, 2020
Hello,

My name is Dragos.I am beginner in simulation S.P.I.C.E.. and I use the simulator Micro-CAP 12, to simulate an electric schematic.
I want to simulate the photodiode PIN InGaAs IG17-series,here I used an an electric equivalent model of working of photodiode and I want to monitor grafically the rectangular electrical impulse, at an amplitude of a few volts generated by the photodiode depending on a period of time in ns.interpolated with the sinusoidal signal from output of transimpedance amplifier.
Please give me any advice.I do not know how to begin. I will attach a picture with the electric schematic.

Thank you for understanding,
Dragos.

PHOTOOOO.PNG

Weiseste

Joined May 22, 2020
I want to know if it is possible to model a photodiode InGasAs panchromatic PIN , in accord with datasheet, in simulator SPICE MicroCAP 12.Because the supllier where I boughit it has not a SPICE model.And if it is possible, which are those steps. Here it is data-sheet https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ig17x1000s4i/photodiodes/laser-components/ And below I will attach a electric schematic, a transimpedance amplifier with phototdiode, used like receiver of smoke.I want to monitor graphically the impulse of photodiode in function of output of transimpedance for sensibilty. There is type of photodiode,which I found it in library Micro-CAP 12, it is simpe photodiode,which does not follow in accord in datasheet.There is photodiode macro.

Thank you.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I want to know if it is possible to model a photodiode InGasAs panchromatic PIN , in accord with datasheet, in simulator SPICE MicroCAP 12.Because the supllier where I boughit it has not a SPICE model.And if it is possible, which are those steps. Here it is data-sheet https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ig17x1000s4i/photodiodes/laser-components/ And below I will attach a electric schematic, a transimpedance amplifier with phototdiode, used like receiver of smoke.I want to monitor graphically the impulse of photodiode in function of output of transimpedance for sensibilty. There is type of photodiode,which I found it in library Micro-CAP 12, it is simpe photodiode,which does not follow in accord in datasheet.There is photodiode macro.

Thank you.
You have the photodiode connected wrong and the symbol is incorrect.

According to Photo_2:
The control terminal is "IN". "A" is anode. "C" is cathode.
The control terminal is used to simulate the amount of "light" absorbed by the diode and controls the current thru the diode.

Weiseste

Joined May 22, 2020
Hello,

Who can help me to modelat mathematically in function of data-sheet of a special photodiode, in a S.P.I.C.E. simulator like Micro-CAP 12, it can be other S.P.I.C.E. simulator.
I will attach the electrical schematical equivalent of photodiode InGaAs attached of transimpedance amplifier and the documantation of photodiode,the datasheet of photodiode and documantion of electrical circuit equivalent.

Thank you,
Dragos.

VAAA.PNG

http://www.osioptoelectronics.com/a...l Communication Photodiodes and Receivers.pdf

https://www.tme.eu/Document/726cc5089c90f506f2d9a008ec28a891/ig17.pdf

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is gained by modeling the photodiode? With no stimulation you will not be able to simulate the photodiode if it is AC-coupled to your amplifier.

Weiseste

Joined May 22, 2020
Make what better?
What is your definition of better?
You said that " With no stimulation you will not be able to simulate the photodiode if it is AC-coupled to your amplifier. ", which do you mean from this thing?The electrical equivalent schematic is of photodiode as it is in that paper,and I know to model mathematically in function of datasheet to get through aproximation that specific behaviour of photodiode?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
1) You do not state your application and what it is that you are measuring, sunlight, laser beam, LIDAR, fibre-optical transmission, single photon emission, gamma-ray scintillation,

2) You do not state the frequency, pulse width, rise time, fall time, current, voltage, of the signal being produced.

3) Your amplifier is AC coupled at the input. Therefore you cannot simulate the DC performance of the photodiode because there is no DC signal to be measured.

4) You have to distinguish between modeling the photo-diode and modeling the amplifier.

5) By making it better, do you mean improved gain, improved frequency response of the amplifier?

6) There are high speed op-amps that are designed specifically to work with photodiodes and which will give better performance than the circuit you have shown.

Weiseste

Joined May 22, 2020
I want to monitor graphically the impulse of photodiode in function of output of transimpedance for sensibilty. It is a receiver for smoke.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Still not enough information.

What are you trying to detect and measure?
Smoke as in fire alarm?
Smoke in smoke stack or car exhaust?
Smoke in air pollution?

Are you trying measure air clarity?
Or are you trying to count particles as in air quality measurement?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In your schematic you show the photodiode modelled as a current source, diode, capacitor and shunt resistor all in parallel, plus a series resistance. You need to give those elements some parameters to get the sim going.
From the linked datasheet it seems the peak sensitivity is typically about 1A/W (where W is the illumination power) and the shunt resistance is typically in the 12-830MΩ range, depending on diode type. So use a pulse current source of a few mV amplitude and plug in a suitable shunt resistance value. I haven't a clue what the model's capacitor and series resistance values should be. I couldn't see anything in the datasheet to indicate the speed of response of the diode to illumination changes.
That series of diodes seems horribly expensive. Why do you need those?

Last edited:

Weiseste

Joined May 22, 2020
Thank you for this feedback.I want to monitor graphically the impulse of photodiode in function of output of transimpedance for sensibilty,the form it must be, an optical rectangular impulse, at the input of photodiode, with a perioad of 20ns and ,the rise time is for 4ns and the fall time it is also for 4ns, the interval of voltage must be between -20V and +20V, and the optical power must be between 100 and 100nW/cm^2.