Simple Timer Circuit - Will this circuit work?

David Nolan

Joined Aug 4, 2021
Hi Guys,

So I've been trying to wire up a simple timer circuit on a breadboard. I'm a complete novice so I'm just following youtube Tutorials. I found this one video which shows how to do it but It's a little over simplified so I had to fill in a lot of the gaps which may be a source of error. I'm trying to replicate the circuit in the video on breadboard. I have all the same components I think. and have made my own circuit diagram. I'm wondering if the circuit diagram I made from the video is incorrect but I will link both. I was really attracted to the simplicity and low number of components used in this circuit so I'd like to stick with it. I tried to wire it up and it didn't work so I'm doing something wrong.

Just so you know the little circles in the circuit diagram are bread board connections. I just did it like that because it was simpler for me personally to understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Youtube Link

IMG_20210828_180320.jpg

David Nolan

Joined Aug 4, 2021
So guys besides the 555 Timer perhaps being the wrong one, is the circuit diagram I drew incorrect? I don't want to use different components apart from changing out the 555 timer if possible. I would liket o use the circuit in the Youtube Video.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So guys besides the 555 Timer perhaps being the wrong one, is the circuit diagram I drew incorrect? I don't want to use different components apart from changing out the 555 timer if possible. I would liket o use the circuit in the Youtube Video.
What was shown is a wiring diagram, NOT a circuit schematic. It iis far easier to understand a circuit from the schematic than from a wiring diagram.

David Nolan

Joined Aug 4, 2021
Hello,

The switch used is a on/off switch.
https://www.chinadaier.com/kan-28-z-shape-push-button-switch/
He starts the timer by applying the voltage.
He also uses an 9 volts battery.
It is a wonder that the led survives as he is not using a current limiting resistor for the led.

Bertus

Thank's Bertus, I will try upping the voltage and 'switching' out the switch. Thanks for your help. Can I ask if I make these changes and wire it up the same as I show in the wiring diagram, will it work? I worry that the wiring diagram is wrong you see.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Video that peaked your interest is fine only for getting You interested.
But it gives You zero understanding of what is actually happening, and WHY.

I would suggest that You start-out with a "Kit",
that has ~25, ~50, or even ~100 "projects".
I wish I had one of them when I was teaching myself back at around ~8-years old.
One of these Kits will teach You quite a few basic principles,
and hopefully prevent smoking too many parts.

You really need to learn how to read Schematics first,
it's only a matter of learning what the Symbols and abbreviations mean,
and a few rules about how and why Schematics are laid-out the way they are.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

David Nolan

Joined Aug 4, 2021
The circuit in the video uses 220VAC and shows a guy on a different continent. The circuit shown in the video has many errors, then the video is fake, like many You Tube videos from over there. I think You Tube pays them for each person who looks at their fake video.

I mean, wouldn't it be easier to make an actual working circuit, It's a pretty simple circuit. I feel like it would be more work to fake but I don't know. I tried the changes you guys recommended, such as upping the voltage and changing to a toggle switch, It still didn't work. No surprise there.

I'm not big into electronics, I really have no interest in buying a kit. I have too many other projects on my plate that are not electronically based. If anyone can help me figure out what's wrong with this circuit. I would be grateful. Otherwise I have to start from square one.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
If You are not really interested in taking the time to learn the basics of Electronics
then simply buy a device that will perform the desired functions.
But I think You will be missing-out on a very valuable education.

David Nolan

Joined Aug 4, 2021
If You are not really interested in taking the time to learn the basics of Electronics
then simply buy a device that will perform the desired functions.
But I think You will be missing-out on a very valuable education.

I'm interested in designing this particular circuit. I want help with this particular circuit. I don't argue the value of an electronics education, I simply don't have the time now. Please consider helping with this circuit. I have already seen the alternative I can buy. They are not suitable. Hence me building my own. Are you 100% sure that this circuit is fake or is that simply speculation?