Simple Project - How to turn a DC motor

kennybosss

Joined Mar 30, 2017
Help required building a circuit to turn a dc motor clock wise for 5 seconds remain off for 5 seconds anti clockwise for 5 seconds then remain off for 5 seconds and restart the cycle while being powered by 9v battery. Complete amateur .

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
1. When I don't see a bunch of commas in one long a$$ sentence, I know that I don't want to get involved.
2. When I see word: required, I put put that person on Ignore list.

You can scream. You can beg. You can not REQUIRE anything of ME.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Help required building a circuit to turn a dc motor clock wise for 5 seconds remain off for 5 seconds anti clockwise for 5 seconds then remain off for 5 seconds and restart the cycle while being powered by 9v battery. Complete amateur .
You need two things, an H-bridge and a timer. The H-bridge is what allows you to reverse the motor current polarity. Of course this assumes your motor will reverse direction with reverse polarity. You should check this.

The timer - a 555 timer IC - and an attached 4017 counter chip will change state every 5 seconds and send the control signal to the H-bridge. I know this is gibberish to you but you can start searching and learning about these concepts.

N|kolαTeslα

Joined Sep 17, 2017
Read about designing digital circuits and learn about clock and latches. You will have the idea. You can start in multism for simulation but I dont know if DC Motor is there.

kennybosss

Joined Mar 30, 2017
Thank you i already tried experimenting with proteus 8 . I tried using two 555 timers and doing the reverse polarity thingy. But it was a huge failure errors and such .. don't think ill get over that learning curve without some help from you geniuses, Also is there anyway to keep in touch with you guys ? Im from trinidad and not much electronics experts here .. can you guys please stick around to help me complete it ... Ill send you a picture of my failure maybe you could send a datasheet with the H bridge and the 4017 or whatever you were suggesting ?Capture.PNG Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Before you get too deep with control schemes, make sure your motor can be properly powered by a 9V battery.
How much current does your motor draw when performing the desired function?

kennybosss

Joined Mar 30, 2017
Before you get too deep with control schemes, make sure your motor can be properly powered by a 9V battery.
How much current does your motor draw when performing the desired function?
6V/50RPM please remember that i dont understand your terms ... thanks for all the help though ... please suggest how i should design my circuit

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here's what I was describing. This lights the two LEDs alternately with a gap in between where neither is lit. You'd need to amplify the current to drive a motor but I wanted to show this basic idea. R1, R2 and C2 set the timing, which is a little over 4 seconds as shown. I didn't bother to dial in an exact 5 second combination.
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 3.11.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 3.09.42 PM.png

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A Dual D will change states with every clock pulse, Q goes high, /Q goes low. With /Q connected to D, the state will toggle with every clock pulse. Throw in a couple Two Input AND gates with a clock pulse of 5 seconds high, 5 seconds low and you have your solution. No need for relays or counters. Of course you're going to need some sort of power device to handle the current the motor draws. Since you give no details on what you have or want (other than reverse every 10 seconds with a 5 second run time in each direction, we can't engineer a solution for you). Then again, if you want engineering services you could always pay someone.

I'll give this a little more consideration in the morning. Right now I have a pillow that is SCREAMING my name.