Simple Circuit to Reverse Pos Neg Leads from battery?

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Hello everyone,

I work for a Point of Sale display company and we have a need for a circuit that can control how a battery connects to a small motor. We need the motor to move right for a small time, then reverse direction.

I have proposed we use a simple circuit to reverse the polarity of the power from the battery and then after a specific amount of time, reverse it back...and so on and so on forever.

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction? Can this be done simply with diodes and capacitors, or will a programmed Op Amp be needed?

I am a novice, so be kind.

Thanks!

Tyler

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Also do you need end stops, or does it matter if it over runs, i.e. no physical stop present??
Max.
Whats happening is a "head" is turning left and then right. there is no absolute location it must stop before reversing, but it would be a good idea to have it in the same place each time so the head doesn't go too far over time.

(I have to thank all of you for such fast and informative responses! Quite an amazing forum!)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can put a 2 limit switches in series with the motor leads, one at each end of travel, a diode across each allows reverse without anymore switching.
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Or forget all that and just do it mechanically..
Back and forth can easily be accomplished with the motor turning in one direction only..

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Or forget all that and just do it mechanically..
Back and forth can easily be accomplished with the motor turning in one direction only..
We are exploring the mechanical option as well, but it gets far more complicated and the more moving parts you have the greater the risk of failure. An electronic option would also be far cheaper.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
best solution is to use the timer for the motor as a flip flop, with a limit switch at each end of the turn, this would flip the direction of the motor

555.png

Evil Lurker

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Since you are running a POS you should already have an MCU running the thing and hopefully a couple free ports. I'd consider going with a small stepper motor maybe powered by an off the shelf $3 L293 or some other driver or if it is a regular brushed DC motor a dedicated driver IC similar to those used in cassette, CD-Rom, and VCRs where all you have to do is send a drive signal to the chip. I myself have an LB1943 from my junk pile that I have been playing with... shouldn't be too hard to get something similar.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/L/B/1/9/LB1943.shtml

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Circuit doesn't work... probably an error on my end, Here is the layout I created for my construction. When I hook it up, the motor runs, but doesn't switch... I also think I smelled some burning smell, so somethings not right:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
your motor is not on the wipers of the relay, looks like your supply shorts out, is pin 3 changing output going high and low, if so the 555 is working, if not oh dear.....

Last edited:

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
your motor is not on the wipers of the relay, looks like your supply shorts out, is pin 3 changing output going high and low, if so the 555 is working, if not oh dear.....
Here is a pic of the relay. The wiper seems to be on the right side not the middle:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
ok, get a voltmeter on pins 1& 2, is it rising and falling,and is pin 3 changing output. Also looks like the transistor is drawn wrong, C E reversed.

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
ok, get a voltmeter on pins 1& 2, is it rising and falling,and is pin 3 changing output. Also looks like the transistor is drawn wrong, C E reversed.
voltmeter with neg on "1" and Pos on "2" reads a slow increase in voltage slowing down at around 4-5v. So its not rising and falling.

As for the transistor, I'm not sure why you think its backwards. The Emmiter connects to the diode and the Collector goes straight to Positive battery terminal.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your using the transistor as an Emitter follower, thats ok , pin 2 rises upto 2/3 supply then discharges to 1/3, what is the supply voltage and is it a power supply or battery.

Gamedojo

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Your using the transistor as an Emitter follower, thats ok , pin 2 rises upto 2/3 supply then discharges to 1/3, what is the supply voltage and is it a power supply or battery.
As I said, pin 2 is not dropping...

power supply is 8 D Batteries at 12v