Simple circuit to boost 12.6v to 13.8

sunber

Joined Jan 6, 2020
Hi all, I need a simple and robust circuit to boost 12.6v to 13.8v to fool a voltage sensing drl controller, this will be driving a relay which will switch the load, any suggestions would be appreciated..

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi sunber,
Welcome to AAC.
One option could be a 1.2V battery cell in series with the 12.6V supply, giving 13.8V.
What level of power is required by the 13.8V.?
E

sunber

Joined Jan 6, 2020
Thanks for your suggestion but I'm looking for a more set and forget setup, Battery I assume would require ongoing maintenance.. power required is to drive a relay, I'm pretty sure 200 milliamps will be more than enough. I've seen some simple voltage boosting circuits utilising inductors but they all seem to double, triple or more.. Which is way too much for what I need..

sunber

Joined Jan 6, 2020
Yes those would fit the bill perfectly, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch here and postage times here in Australia are excessive with the covid situation so was hoping to make something up myself, I have vast array of components available on hand

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi sun,
What transformers and voltage regulators do you have in your stock, maybe possible to home build.
E

Edit: do you have a circuit diagram for the existing 12.6V supply.??

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Interesting choice of voltage. Most amateur radio gear uses 13.8 V power as a standard. You could pick one up pretty cheap and that would be a set it and forget it.