Signals changeable between 1 and 0

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I understand you very much ! so it's not like it will down from 1 to 0 for "nano seconds" and then up to 1 ....because we would get "OFF" for nano seconds and that's not logically :)

thanks !
You are getting it.

Also, there's no big distinction between a 0 and a 1. In all of these discussions we could interchange the two and the points would be unchanged. If we "change" from a 0 to a 0 do we momentarily get a 1? Same issues.

No go back and reread the post I made much earlier about timing hazards. Some circuits exhibit the behavior that when the input changes in such a way that the output should remain static (i.e., stay the same) that it actually briefly switches to the other state during the transition. I've seen chips killed because of this phenomenon because the designer didn't take it into account and their chip was sensitive to these glitches. We can design the circuit to make it so that these glitches can't happen, but that almost always makes the chip bigger, slower, more expensive, and more power hungry. So we only do it when we really need to. The key to good design is learning how to determine, with confidence and accuracy, when you do and don't need to.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Another, non-electronic way of thinking about “smashing” values.

First, the idea of previous value being replaced by the next value implies you must consider time. If at t0, the output is a “1”, then at t1 it is a “0”, there is a discrete time between the events t1-t0 that the output is in transition.

As described many times, different circuits behave differently. Some will have one transition from “1” to “0”, others may change multiple times. That is a “glitch”.

“Changing” from a “1” to a “1” is subject to the same behavior.

Your idea of “smashing” implies that the previous value goes somewhere. It doesn’t. It just changes. And the behavior of that change is dependent on the circuit or gate being driven.

Whether or not this behavior is critical, all depends on the design. You need to know this, so you can design reliable circuits.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
You are getting it.

Also, there's no big distinction between a 0 and a 1. In all of these discussions we could interchange the two and the points would be unchanged. If we "change" from a 0 to a 0 do we momentarily get a 1? Same issues.

No go back and reread the post I made much earlier about timing hazards. Some circuits exhibit the behavior that when the input changes in such a way that the output should remain static (i.e., stay the same) that it actually briefly switches to the other state during the transition. I've seen chips killed because of this phenomenon because the designer didn't take it into account and their chip was sensitive to these glitches. We can design the circuit to make it so that these glitches can't happen, but that almost always makes the chip bigger, slower, more expensive, and more power hungry. So we only do it when we really need to. The key to good design is learning how to determine, with confidence and accuracy, when you do and don't need to.
I appreciate you very much, my whole concepts was wrong about how things go in digital circuits ! I just was thinking like idiot about 1 and 0 as a values that's stored in ..and using everytime the term "smashed" , and I admit that I was totally wrong, so what I've learnt about 0,1? simply they are sensory something that can't be defined as it's just life there's light ON and light OFF nothing else, how much that simple?! very simple, but I don't know how I fail on it :), now myself itself couldn't explain what're 0,1 because they are something can't be elaborate ..meaning it's something like much clearly and understandable ... but I believe in something that "SIMPLICITY IS THE ULTIMATE SOPHISTICATION"
to sum up, I don't know how to thank you ! thank you !!

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
You are getting it.

I understand you, may you explain what's the term glitch about? in abbreviation words and in a simple way :) ? how they are related to the circuits? so if there's a glitch then there's some circuit works in a glitch like there's no glitch :) and keeping its state as its ?

again thank you !

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I had a nice peaceful sleep last night. It was dark.
I woke up and saw a glimmer of light peeking through the blinds.
A few seconds later it was dark again. Were my eyes playing tricks on me? Or was it a glitch in the sunlight breaking through the clouds?
So I closed my eyes and fell back into sleep.
Fifteen minutes later I woke up again and I knew it was time to get on with the day.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I understand you, may you explain what's the term glitch about? in abbreviation words and in a simple way :) ? how they are related to the circuits? so if there's a glitch then there's some circuit works in a glitch like there's no glitch :) and keeping its state as its ?

again thank you !
Go back and reread the very first post I made in this thread. Then ask about what is still unclear.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I appreciate you very much, my whole concepts was wrong about how things go in digital circuits ! I just was thinking like idiot about 1 and 0 as a values that's stored in ..and using everytime the term "smashed" , and I admit that I was totally wrong, so what I've learnt about 0,1? simply they are sensory something that can't be defined as it's just life there's light ON and light OFF nothing else, how much that simple?! very simple, but I don't know how I fail on it :), now myself itself couldn't explain what're 0,1 because they are something can't be elaborate ..meaning it's something like much clearly and understandable ... but I believe in something that "SIMPLICITY IS THE ULTIMATE SOPHISTICATION"
to sum up, I don't know how to thank you ! thank you !!
Hi

Try this...go to a room and switch a light ON, then change the light from ON to ON.
What did you do to change the light from ON to ON?

eT

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
alright, all understood !

thanks
Don't be afraid to go back and reread stuff over again. You will find yourself doing it a lot. You are not the same person that you were when you read it the last time, and so this time you are in a position to grasp things you missed the first time (or first dozen times) around. There's a particular half a page in a text book in a class I'm teaching and I read that thing at least two dozen times in about three sittings over a couple of years and each time I got another glimpse of something I had missed before and then things that I thought I had understood became even clearer and sometimes revealed that I had been making assumptions that weren't justified. When I finally felt understood everything in that half page it was almost a spiritual epiphany.