Show the power in ltspice

Soma23

Joined Apr 24, 2015
Hi i have drawn this circuit ; consists of ac power supply and 1 k resister with ground but i want to show the power consumption could someone help me please

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Run the sim, place the cursor over the component whose power you want to measure, press and hold the Alt key (cursor symbol becomes a thermometer), left-click to plot power.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
After doing a transient simulation, place the cursor over the component for the power measurement, hold the ALT key, and left click.
The will display a graph of the power dissipated over the simulation time.

To get the average power over that period, place the cursor over the title for the power graph, hold the CTRL key, and left click.
Note that if you want the average power of a periodic wave, then you need to display an integral number of complete cycles.

Edit: Alec beat me to the punch.

Soma23

Joined Apr 24, 2015
When i drew a circuit in spice which consists of 1k resister , ground , and ac power supply i got the power is 0 all the time why ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What is the average voltage over one cycle of a sinewave with a resistive load? Zero.
What is the average current over one cycle of a sinewave with a resistive load? Zero.
You need to find RMS voltage times RMS current. That is the number you want.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
What is the average voltage over one cycle of a sinewave with a resistive load? Zero.
What is the average current over one cycle of a sinewave with a resistive load? Zero.
You need to find RMS voltage times RMS current. That is the number you want.
:confused: and here I am asking for graphics and stuff... I forgot the KISS it rule... :mad:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You're right to ask for the graphics and stuff. The TS is struggling to understand what is going on and I sympathize with his dilemma. One of the posts in the previous thread asked if he was interested in instantaneous power or average power and these relevant questions were never precisely answered in my mind at least. Many people stumble over this conundrum.

In case the acronym RMS is unfamiliar to you, it stands for Root Mean Square. It describes a process where you take a periodic signal, like a sinewave, you square it, you compute the mean (average) of the squared signal, and then you take the square root of that number. For a sinewave it is the peak voltage divided by the square root of 2, which is 1.414..., approximately.