Shared post[s]?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Kind friends...

Is there any way of allowing another member to edit my posts short of handing out my password? --- If not, is there a problem with 'sharing' my account for such purposes? -- Alternatively, would creation of a 'third' declared shared account be permissible?

FYI this is in reference to collaboration on the "LOPT Tutorial" --- Certain aspects of the editorial process would be greatly eased/simplified via shared access to said post (By myself and @Aleph(0) )...

Many advance thanks for your consideration:)
HP

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not directly. You could have a document both of you could edit (or a picture) and modify it off site. The address inside BB code would point to the same address.

Having said that, I've never done it.

Googledocs/GoogleDrive comes to mind at least for the cooberation. Microsoft's one drive (free) would also would work.

Dunno if Admin could create a forum for both of you with effective moderator Edit privs for that forum only.

Under VB, I once was a moderator with limited permissions. i.e. I could edit other people's posts and I could move them into a forum I had permission. Most of the mods there did not have the ability to delete a post. So, basically moving and editing.

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
is there a problem with 'sharing' my account for such purposes?
HP I say give that thought the miss cuz ppl might wonder if we're puppets all over again if our ip range not distinct:( HP I know just how you feel about like you say malcontents but if we're not taken seriously neither will tutorial:(
Alternatively, would creation of a 'third' declared shared account be permissible?
I like that idea! And to avoid confusion we can identify our edits when logged on to shared username:)
Not directly. You could have a document both of you could edit (or a picture) and modify it off site. The address inside BB code would point to the same address.
Thanks but that's complected because third party hosting and all. How about HP's idea to create new login that we each have pw to? We could use it just for tutorial maintenance but never to make new posts or respond to posts. I say it's simplest solution? Also I just thinking we could _publicly declare_ shared user on signature:)!
Googledocs/GoogleDrive comes to mind at least for the cooberation. Microsoft's one drive (free) would also would work.
Dunno if Admin could create a forum for both of you with effective moderator Edit privs for that forum only.
Thanks for suggestions:) For now I'm hoping mod will approve creation of new username shared by HP and I for tutorial maintenance only. I say easiest way cuz we can do it all ourselves:)!

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
How about HP's idea to create new login that we each have pw to? We could use it just for tutorial maintenance but never to make new posts or respond to posts. I say it's simplest solution? Also I just thinking we could _publicly declare_ shared user on signature:)!
For now I'm hoping mod will approve creation of new username shared by HP and I for tutorial maintenance only. I say easiest way cuz we can do it all ourselves:)!
My feelings also, Aleph!:) -- Howbeit, owing to its 'irregularity', we'd best await definite authorization prior to implementation -- failing which, we'll survive continuing as we are:cool:

Best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP I say give that thought the miss cuz ppl might wonder if we're puppets all over again if our ip range not distinct:(
Actually, our IPs would remain distinct - howbeit non specific to the shared username - Hence the advisability of a shared, third username for editorial purposes -- IOW I concur with your assertion that shared use of either of our personal usernames is a bad idea...:)

All the best
HP

Admin here might be able to create a private and/or visible/invisible forum for you guys and give you moderation privs to just that forum. So, you act as moderator or individuals. So,one post could be your co-oberated work and individual posts could be your documented IP (Intellectual property). Maybe you could bring write access to others by invitation. Then admin would add them to the group w/o moderation privs.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Actually, our IPs would remain distinct - howbeit non specific to the shared username - Hence the advisability of a shared, third username for editorial purposes
I see what you mean, doh:oops:! I was thinking right and typing wrong:oops:

So here's proposal as far as I understand
One of us creates new login and shares pw with other. Name of new account is TutEdit or like that? Nature of account is explained in signature but 10 on topic posts needed before can add signature to new acct so we do trick like post 10 times from acct to this thread then delete them? To get tutorial ownership to new acct you copy and repost it from new acct then tutorial can be edited by which ever logged to acct:)!
I hope this is appealing to Mods cause there is no special work for them, all we need is their Ok:)
Also I say rule of edit acct is that used only for edit tutorials during composition in thread in off topic and notes pertaining to edits, no other type of communication at all not even likes or follows or pm:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Admin here might be able to create a private and/or visible/invisible forum for you guys and give you moderation privs to just that forum. So, you act as moderator or individuals. So,one post could be your co-oberated work and individual posts could be your documented IP (Intellectual property). Maybe you could bring write access to others by invitation. Then admin would add them to the group w/o moderation privs.
I sorry I missed your post when typing mine:oops: I think your idea is perfect if Mods agree but maybe a lot of work since if they do for us must do for all who ask:rolleyes: Idea like I say in last post not as nice as yours but it's no work for mods at all and still make composition and editing lot easier than now:)! Thank you for cares!

I think what you guys want is a both a "manuscript" and a "dialog" .
The "manuscript" is what you can both edit and the "dialog: is your independent thoughts.

I didn't know what an Aelph(0) was until I "googled" it. I still don;t know what a "LOPT Tutorial" is? "Lazy Ole Petunia Planter" Your going to have to reach an admin, so pitch your case to one within a conversation. Answer the who, what, where who and why part in the pitch. Especially answer "What's in it for the forum.

None of us know what's possible within he forums's software.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I think what you guys want is a both a "manuscript" and a "dialog" .
The "manuscript" is what you can both edit and the "dialog: is your independent thoughts.

I didn't know what an Aelph(0) was until I "googled" it. I still don;t know what a "LOPT Tutorial" is? "Lazy Ole Petunia Planter" Your going to have to reach an admin, so pitch your case to one within a conversation. Answer the who, what, where who and why part in the pitch. Especially answer "What's in it for the forum.

None of us know what's possible within he forums's software.
For all those reasons I say idea said in post #8 most palatable to Mod cause no work for them:) Now we already have dialog on EHT thread just need permission to create joint acct for easy cooperative editing of manuscript:)

Plz don't feel embarrassed about LOPT it one of those things have too many names:rolleyes: So LOPT means line output transformer but same part also called flyback transformer, horizontal output transformer, sweep transformer, high voltage transformer, second anode transformer and like that:eek: I say demise of crt tv only worsen confusion because of increasing obscurity:( Lesson in current tutorial is how to rebuild still commonly available part for serious hv applications. Future tutorials will discuss circuits and applications for hv supply. Person to ask is HP she's captain and I'm like lowly Boatswain's mate:D

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Sounds good @Aleph(0) !:) --- Collaboration will be seamless if plan is acceptable to Management -- In any event please rest assured that we'll resume next month -- either way!:):):)

Very pleased you value the tutorial and earnestly wish to be part of its development!!!:)

Best regards
HP