Setting an Inverting Schmitt Trigger (op amp)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
hi,
The trip points are at +/-10V , not around 0V.
Refer post #13, observe the rising/falling input Ramp voltage.
E
Isn’t @crutschow ’s plot in post #13 inverted?

From the OP, when the input is below -10V, the output should be +10V.

And when the input is above +10V, the output should be -10V.?

Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
hi dj,
I did not check the phasing, only the switch points, I am sure Carl will correct any errors.
E
No worries. Just happened to note the discrepancy. And your comment is correct in either case. Just didn’t want the TS Carl to build that circuit, only to find out that it’s incorrect.

clark.donaldson

Joined Aug 19, 2019
hi,
The trip points are at +/-10V , not around 0V.
Refer post #13, observe the rising/falling input Ramp voltage.
E
Hi Eric -
Sorry for the confusion - I was referring to the schematic in Post #12 - the Schmitt Trigger.
Post #13 is a Window Comparator.
I just wanted to make sure *that* is the circuit for this purpose, but I think I do have my answer now.

clark.donaldson

Joined Aug 19, 2019
That is correct.
I mixed up the polarities. :oops:
But until the TS states when should happen when the input is between plus and minus 10 volts, it's not clear if my circuit will do what he wants, even with inverted polarities. :confused:
I'm sorry if I've been unclear about this. I want the circuit to hang at whichever polarity it is currently at, until it is tripped again. So, if the input has switched the circuit to 10v, I don't want it to change until the input has exceeded 10v. If the circuit is putting out -10v, I would like it to stay there until the incoming voltage input has dropped beneath -10v.

I thought there was a way to do this with a Schmitt Trigger, but I think I might be wrong. Are there any single comparator options, though?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I'm sorry if I've been unclear about this. I want the circuit to hang at whichever polarity it is currently at, until it is tripped again. So, if the input has switched the circuit to 10v, I don't want it to change until the input has exceeded 10v. If the circuit is putting out -10v, I would like it to stay there until the incoming voltage input has dropped beneath -10v.

I thought there was a way to do this with a Schmitt Trigger, but I think I might be wrong. Are there any single comparator options, though?
The Schmitt trigger circuit that I posted does exactly what you just described.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
if the input has switched the circuit to 10v, I don't want it to change until the input has exceeded 10v. If the circuit is putting out -10v, I would like it to stay there until the incoming voltage input has dropped beneath -10v.
Okay, now I understand (I think).
That's a simpler circuit, requiring just one comparator with 20V of hysteresis.

The circuit is a variation of KW's circuit, to give ±10V output and trip points, Ltspice simulation below:
As the previous circuit, the output levels and trip points are affected by any change in the plus and minus supply voltages.

So does that look like what you wanted?

upload_2019-10-19_21-5-17.png

Last edited: