Setting a timed trigger delay for a noisy signal

RichW

Joined Nov 8, 2019
Hi,

I have a noisy signal, and would like the oscilloscope to capture the waveform at a certain time, rather than above a certain voltage threshold.

So, I am trying to trigger the oscilloscope with the function generator. But Trigger Setup Delay (please see image below) does not change the capture on the oscilloscope. I'm confused how to trigger the oscilloscope, should I be using the generator or the oscilloscope?

275621270_368001795153582_6460633970253315406_n.jpg

Thanks for any guidance.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What determines when the delay starts?
A delay has to be referenced to some point in time, which would be some point on the noisy signal.

RichW

Joined Nov 8, 2019
What determines when the delay starts?
A delay has to be referenced to some point in time, which would be some point on the noisy signal.
Ahh, I see. I went back and tried again. It seems that the way to do this is using sync, rather than the trigger function of the generator. Not sure why, but it works! Many thanks for the reply crutschow.

edit didn't work, see below

Last edited:

RichW

Joined Nov 8, 2019
Sorry for the long delay in reply. I think I kind of understand what was happening.

So, in burst / pulse mode the function generator emits counter like signal with the outgoing pulse. This is on even when the output is turned off. Therefore the function generator was triggering the oscilloscope even before I turned on the pulse output.

I solved the problem by triggering from the output signal directly, rather than the internal counter trigger thing. I basically need to capture at the point of outgoing signal in a very small time frame, not only to capture signals but also so I can minimise the viewing oscilloscope window (for increased sampling rate).

If that makes any sense?

Last edited: