Sensitivity in oscilloscope

sagivbh

Joined Jan 15, 2018
Hello,
Im working on a lab report about noise in electronic devices, and in the first request I need to input a sin wave of 0.01 amplitude and 50kHz to digital oscilloscope, and connect the oscilloscope to a voltmeter who does not amplify. Than I need to calculate the gain by Vout(RMS)/Vin(RMS), when i change the device sensitivity. My question is what exactly is sensitivity, and why I got higher gain when the sensitivity is low. Second question, why the oscilloscope is amplify?

Thanks.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
This sounds like homework. Is it?

My question is what exactly is sensitivity, and why I got higher gain when the sensitivity is low.
Do you know how to use Google or a dictionary?
clipimage.jpg
clipimage.jpg
Second question, why the oscilloscope is amplify?
If you look closely at the input sensitivity (yeah, I know you don't understand what that means), the input can only attenuate.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Sensitivity is voltage to deflect the vertical axis by one division on the display. This will be switchable to deal with a wide range of amplitude of the input signal. Stating an amplitude of 0.0 1 is meaningless without units. (Microvolts, megavolts ? )

Les.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
My question is what exactly is sensitivity, and why I got higher gain when the sensitivity is low.
. We can start with what you have observed on the oscilloscope because you have already calculated what you think is gain.Now more information is needed then you have supplied perhaps taking a photo of your setup or draw a diagram.
I will use examples or analogies to the terminology which can be rather confusing.