Second opinions requested on a solenoid issue?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What are my biggest challenges soldering is what to do when I make a mistake, unsoldering is a lot harder than soldering as it happens.I have worked out how to hold things like components and wires in place. I'm pretty sure I could use one of these consider if I could figure out how to push the button.

solder sucker.jpg
these are pretty cheap and work well if you can push the button.

The first thought that comes into my mind is to use a solenoid, This is not something I have used a lot, I can 3D print a spool and wind wire around it to create an electromagnet.I'm thinking of either making an AC solenoid with a high frequency to increase its effectiveness, or a DC solenoid using a magnet. At this point I am brainstorming , and looking for input from people who may have more experience in this than I do. The idea is the core? Will push the button when a foot switch is pressed.

#1.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This is the one you want. You can use this with one hand by turning your wrist and pushing the yellow plunger against a hard surface.

https://www.amazon.com/EDSYN-The-Or.../B006GOKVKI/ref=asc_df_B006GOKVKI?FORM=SSAPC1

What I don't know is how you can hold the iron and suck the solder at the same time.

There is also the possibility of having a desoldering station with a footswitch to activate the suction. In this arrangement the iron tip is hollow, and it is connected to a vacuum pump. Seems like this would be more convenient for you.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Along those lines, maybe this. But still the problem of pushing the button. Never used this type as mine has a handheld "gun" with a box containing electronics and vacuum pump. Don't know about this one but mine is very difficult to clean the dross out of. It's a real bear of a job. Also 30W sounds a bit skimpy. I would prefer at least 70W. Also when I desolder the easy part is heating and sucking the solder but I still need my other hand for a tool to manipulate the bit of through hole wire to straighten for removal or pry the component out of the hole often times. Food for thought...
1677649812570.png

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Along those lines, maybe this. But still the problem of pushing the button. Never used this type as mine has a handheld "gun" with a box containing electronics and vacuum pump. Don't know about this one but mine is very difficult to clean the dross out of. It's a real bear of a job. Also 30W sounds a bit skimpy. I would prefer at least 70W. Also when I desolder the easy part is heating and sucking the solder but I still need my other hand for a tool to manipulate the bit of through hole wire to straighten for removal or pry the component out of the hole often times. Food for thought...
View attachment 288641
the biggest problem I see with this gadget is the fact that it probably requires two hands to clean effectively. I might try it sometime.
One of the reasons I don't like ball joints that you tighten down the silver position is it needs two hands one to possess in the position one to tighten down the screw. Anytime you see a process you think can be done with one hand visualize doing it with one hand behind your back and then the ancillary stuff that you would also have to do like cleaning out the soldering soccer.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is the one you want. You can use this with one hand by turning your wrist and pushing the yellow plunger against a hard surface.

https://www.amazon.com/EDSYN-The-Or.../B006GOKVKI/ref=asc_df_B006GOKVKI?FORM=SSAPC1

What I don't know is how you can hold the iron and suck the solder at the same time.

There is also the possibility of having a desoldering station with a footswitch to activate the suction. In this arrangement the iron tip is hollow, and it is connected to a vacuum pump. Seems like this would be more convenient for you.
this is a picture from the sucker you recommended, looks like a two handed operation to me.

Untitled.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I thought the problem was with the plunger type in your picture, which you cannot push against a surface. I solved one problem but not both, which I mentioned in my post. That is why I also suggested the kind with a hollow tip and a vacuum pump.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Even the "vacuum tube" type solder suckers are a 2 handed job to open and remove the dross. But much easier than the ones like I have that have the glass tube, spring, and filter that is very difficult to remove, clean (easy), and replace. It's a real PITA and I keep a spare glass tube and filters! But does a great job...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have one of these. Perhaps one could drill a hole for a vacuum line in the bulb and operate the vacuum pump with a foot switch. If you had a small bench vise, you could clean it with one hand.
For that I would tend to remove the bulb and fit the vacuum pump direct.
( which i have thought of!)

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Either that or put the dross filter before the vacuum line. Don't want solder dross plugging the line.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
By not removing the bulb, one could use it as intended with a plug.
I think you'd still want a filter between the bulb and vacuum tube but I like the idea of keeping the bulb as the dross reservoir. Even a small ball of cotton or wool fuzz would do the trick maybe. A small RC Model inline fuel filter maybe. Some can be unscrewed to clean/replace the filter element. The idea of replacing the NO button on the handheld with a foot switch also has merit and should be fairly easy to accomplish. @Wendy how does the idea of a foot switch work for you?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008