Searching for transformer/rectifier like in photo

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
In the picture of the primary, by the blue wire there seems to be the standard soldered wire, but to the right of the blue wire there seems to be 2 fine wires going "somewhere". Unusual to have a soldered winding to the power lead and have another wire(s) going elsewhere right near it.
It also appears the primary winding is under the blue tape while the secondary is wound under the white plastic wrap.
I agree that it seems hard to see how they could have rectifiers in that transformer. Strange labeling to show DC coming out of a multi-tap transformer. Maybe the vendor meant VAC, or the VDC is what the transformer will deliver with external rectifiers??

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Maybe the vendor meant VAC, or the VDC is what the transformer will deliver with external rectifiers??
That would be my guess too. If it were really DC coming out of that transformer, one would expect the two secondary windings to have four differently coloured wires exiting.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Transformer manufacturers web site advertise specializing in SMPS they show T series transformers supplies with various VDC outputs.!
I would open it up carefully some more, remove as much as possible to see.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m missing something but have you measured the resistance across the primary (brown/blue) and the two secondaries (red/red) and (blue/blue) and whether there is a short between secondaries or primary to either secondary? If the secondaries look ok maybe use another transformer with low voltage output across one of the secondaries and check the AC voltage across the other secondary to see if the ratio is as expected. Honestly, it does just look like a transformer with no rectifiers so probably incorrectly labeled as DC. If the outputs are supposed to be AC can you see rectifiers and capacitors inside near the transformer?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
So, as I suspected, it is a simple transformer that outputs AC.

Now the questuon is why you won’t take resistance readings in the primary and secondaries?

Hi, it's part of a bosch radio.
One further thought. What is the model number and age of the Bosch radio? From the little of the PCB we can see, it looks like a transistor radio from around the 1960s - except for the red LED. If you can find a schematic online, even any Bosch radio of similar vintage, it may be possible to work out what you need to do to simply replace the transformer. It's interesting that there are two secondaries, not a split secondary, so presumably no common ground? If no schematic online, try contacting Bosch - if you stumble across a friendly engineer they may be able to help.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I don’t think it is a transistor radio from the ‘60s.
Hi, it's part of a bosch radio. One of the leads feeds a battery charging station and the other the radio itself.
I just had a big remodel project done and I saw several of them used by contractors st the worksite. They are a boombox that also has a charger for their Bosch power tool batteries.

The latest ones have a satellite radio, so probably not a new one, but still of this century.

beginnerdude

Joined Oct 10, 2022
Well, I guess the "transfo/rectifier" at the very beginning of the post was mislabeled, after all.

I looked at the PCB connected to the red/red and blue/blue outputs. I "at first" did not see any rectifier (I'm not used to looking at electronics; my first time really looking at these things), and though I wanted to look underneath it, I was not able to because the pcb seemed glued down (and also because some of the screws on the other side of the Bosch box were stripped, the side of which I could perhaps have access).

To make things short, I removed the one screw that tied the pcb down and forcefully pulled the pcb out. And on the other side are what I suppose to be the diodes for the two full bridge rectifiers for the cigar lighter and the radio. The rectifier for the charging port is on a second PCB.

And yes, it is a Bosch worksite radio (Bosch GML 24v). It is bigger than what it looks like in the photos!

IMG_3626.JPG

Bosch worksite radio (Bosch GML 24v)
See the manual technical data at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/977597/Bosch-Gml-24-V.html?page=8#manual
where you can also look at all the other pages 1 to 16. Sadly, no schematic.
How are they charging batteries at 24V and 1.2A unless they are combining the rectified output of the two secondaries? I wonder if the lower voltage is just used for the radio and whether you can get far enough inside to have a go at powering the radio on it's own from maybe a 12V battery? If the primary of the transformer has gone open circuit, which you have yet to confirm, it's going to be hard to know if the secondaries are marked with DC voltages after they have been rectified and smoothed or are they just AC voltages (where the rectified DC would be 40% higher). If the transformer really is broken, you could always unwind the secondaries and primary, carefully counting the turns...

beginnerdude

Joined Oct 10, 2022
The 24v battery charger is dealt with another transformer. The Bosch has two transformers. One PCB for the first, another PCB for the second.

Transformer 1: 220v to 26volts
Transformer 2 (the one I have opened up): 220v to 16.5volts and 220v to 12volts