Searching for a project idea

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I have a friend that has a little solar panel (12V 15W). He used it to circulate the air under his boat cover, but he sold the boat. He would like to do something with the panel. I could build him something, but I'm short of ideas.
Anyone build a neat project using a small panel?
I have a little 12v battery I would give him (7AH).
He is handy with wood and metal.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have a friend that has a little solar panel (12V 15W). He used it to circulate the air under his boat cover, but he sold the boat. He would like to do something with the panel. I could build him something, but I'm short of ideas.
Anyone build a neat project using a small panel?
I have a little 12v battery I would give him (7AH).
He is handy with wood and metal.
Build some type of do-nothing machine for his garden (Google whirlygig). Normally, they are wind-powered but solar could be fun.

Power a little fountain for a water feature in his garden

Have it charge an air horn to blast at deer when they eat his tulips in the spring.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Build some type of do-nothing machine for his garden (Google whirlygig). Normally, they are wind-powered but solar could be fun.

Power a little fountain for a water feature in his garden

Have it charge an air horn to blast at deer when they eat his tulips in the spring.
Thanks,
I think I'll try the water feature out on him. :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A 10 watt solar panel, with no help from the power grid, could keep the battery in my lawn mower in a state of float charge between uses which can range from once every 6 days to once every 3 months. In fact, I'm using less power than that to keep a car battery from sulfating while I refurbish a 2005 Ford Explorer over the course of several months.