Schottky Barrier diode

1:1

Joined Jan 25, 2007
Hai forum member,

Can anyone tell me what exactly the Schottky Barrier Diode working for?
If possible, please provide me some circuit diagram or related information as referencing.

Thank, Tokeda.

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Howdy, Schottky diodes are silicon diodes that are made so they have a narrower PN junction region. The advantage of this is that they have a lower forward voltage drop than other silicon diodes [about 0.3V, close to that of germanium diodes as opposed to about 0.7V for regular silicon diodes] but still have the high reverse resistance of silicon diodes. One use for these diodes is for detectors in "crystal" radio sets. [For more info on this check out "Rap 'n Tap" & Midnight Science" on Google.]

Joined Jan 25, 2007
Thank wireaddict & Ron H, i will read thru the article.
Do u have any idea if i using two BAT85 instead of using BAT54S?
Is that possible to build the same thing?

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
The BAT54S is a surface mount diode while the BAT85 has wire leads. Both appear to have similar electrical specs. Why, then, do you want to use two '85s to make a '54S? Regards.

Joined Jan 25, 2007
Again, thank wireaddict,

Since BAT54S is surface mount, imply that some special soldering equipment was required, so i think about is that possible doing this stuff in alternatives way.

Tokeda

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Personally, I'd use the leaded version, the BAT85 [or NTE585]; surface mounted components are harder to work with & harder to control the amount of heat to the PN junction when soldering which can damage it.

Joined Jan 25, 2007
Cheer Dave, i was agree what u had said......
I think i should try to use 2 pieces of BAT85 to implement on my project. Surface mount really not a good choice if lack of technical support.

Tokeda