School teaching children about money

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I dont know about others here but I think this is a marvellous idea!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...th-debt-the-mini-bankers-learning-how-to-save

About time they start teaching kids about the REAL world at a young age.
Sad that families are such bad examples. My grandfather spent an afternoon teaching each of his grandchildren about money, budgeting, savings and investing when we became a certain age (old enough to work on his farm). We have taught out children (literally and by example).

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
When I was in sixth grade, let's say about 1961 Miss Taylor taught us about money. We all got bank accounts and learned the basics. Also how to write a check and keep the register. Now days like my grandson has a credit card and just knows how to insert it into the reader. I hope he can make enough money from his video gaming to "pay" for it all.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Problem is that there are many parents out there who do not give a *%@" enough about their own kids.
Unfortunately that's true just as there are many who are way over concerned about their kids to the point it ruins them as human beings just the same to where they (both the overbearing parent and the sheltered to the point of useless snowflake kid they made) ruin the fun for everyone else as well.

My parents worked in the public school systems all my life and they could give you a dozen examples for any day of the week of dealing with kids who came from parents of both ends of the spectrum.

For every kid whose parents don't care there's one more (or several) who has such overbearing parents, or more often parent (typically the hyper protective mother grizzly bear type who in her own right is as self importantly useless as their kid is) that their kid is so overprotected they are beyond useless yet somehow absolutely 100% confident they know everything there ever was in the world and beyond and it makes them so special the world should kiss their ass simply because they exist even though they are 10 years old and can't tie their own shoes correctly but still deserve a solid gold participation trophy every day for at least getting the correct shoe on the right foot half of the time. :(

Same with the financial management education issue. In most school teaching kids the real world life saving freedom given skills and understandings that will give them a far greater chance of becoming real honest good and useful people someday is the last thing they want to teach.

People who can think and act for themselve make for terrible blind faith indoctrinated slaves. :p

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
When I was in sixth grade, let's say about 1961 Miss Taylor taught us about money. We all got bank accounts and learned the basics. Also how to write a check and keep the register. Now days like my grandson has a credit card and just knows how to insert it into the reader. I hope he can make enough money from his video gaming to "pay" for it all.
I got maybe a weeks worth of financial education in high school and that w largely just through indirect action of mathematics classes. As for legitimate hands on figure things out financial education I can't recall a single class that ever taught it specifically or to any level that would have stuck with me to the point of being helpful long them.

Everything I learned about financial responsibility I ether learned the hard way through mistakes and having to dig my butt out myself or watching others I knew get swallowed alive by debt and worse.:(

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
More knowledge is always marvelous but making a curriculum is about priorities. Anything you spend time teaching has the opportunity cost of something you don’t teach them during that time. An implicit assumption is that a kid learns most life skills outside of the curriculum. School is for the things that students are unlikely to learn well outside of school.

We all want kids to learn as much about (almost!) everything as we can teach them, but there is no solution yet for bad parents. I do think there could be a solution, even a public one, if parents are judged inadequate in a topic such as money management. Trouble is, the good parents would admit their weaknesses but I suspect the bad parents would not.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Problem is that there are many parents out there who do not give a *%@" enough about their own kids.
While I'm sure that's part of the cause in some cases, I doubt it is very widespread.

I think most of the time the problem is primarily driven by one or more much more mundane causes:

1) The parents don't know how to handle money. You can't teach what you don't know, especially since most of them don't even know that they don't know it.

2) It is not a pressing child-rearing issue. Teaching them not to play with matches or to take regular showers are things that become apparent when some instruction is needed or overdue.

3) It's masked by day to day life. Since few kids make any money, at least enough to actually impact their lives, whether they save it or waste it has little visible consequence and so it is easy to miss that they aren't doing a good job..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...th-debt-the-mini-bankers-learning-how-to-save

About time they start teaching kids about the REAL world at a young age.
Here in the U.S., one person/organization that has made it a mission to address this is Dave Ramsey and Ramey Solutions with their Foundations in Personal Finance course. I believe the claim is that it is now taught in about one-third of American high schools (usually as an elective, so it doesn't reach that high a fraction of students).