Schematic check on lipo load sharing and voltage booster

kyleh04

Joined Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys,

So, I'm converting one of my old projects to instead of using non rechargables, to use LiPo batteries. To save space, I'm only using a single cell, and don't have room for a pre baked solution to handle the battery.

It needs to be able to use the unit, while charging. For that, I followed the guidance found here, using the MCP73831.

For this project, I have to power a LCD display, which uses a nominal voltage of 5v, so I have to boost the voltage. For that, I used a the LiPower unit as a guide, found here. That uses the TPS61200 for the controller.

I have never designed a LiPo charging unit, let alone one that has to boost the voltage. If you could take a look at my schematic and make sure nothing is messed up I would really appreciate it.

One thing I think could be an issue is that I feed both the lower LiPo battery voltage into the booster, and the already 5v from the USB. Will that be an issue? I assume it won't since the booster will keep it at 5v

I am using "CR-AA" as the LiPo (Will change to proper symbol when finished)

I try not to ask such a broad question, but i'm nervous about this, since there's a lot to go wrong when using a LiPo..

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

kyleh04

Joined Jun 18, 2017
OK, modified the schematic to make the 5V from the USB, if plugged in, bypasses the entire booster now:

Last edited:

rherber1

Joined Jan 6, 2008
OK, modified the schematic to make the 5V from the USB, if plugged in, bypasses the entire booster now:

Did this modified circuit work OK? I have used the arrangement as in your original post and it works well.

Have you produced a pcb for the unit?