Sartorious Bench scale display issue - black vertical bars

Kevin Johnson QE

Joined Apr 29, 2021
Hi all,

My sartorius bench scale electronic display is displaying vertical black bars that is making it incredibly difficult to read the display

Precious weighing equipment that is accurate to 1000th of a gram, so can't be buying a new scale entirely

IMG_20210429_115223[1].jpg

As you can see it is almost impossible to distinguish between a 6 and a 5 except for one pixel

Powder infiltration is strongly suspected
Will the rubber electronic contacts that connect the screen need cleaning? what's the best stuff, as IPA cleaner is still a little bit greasy

Thanks,
Kevin

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
99.9% IPA is the best you are going to get. There is nothing “greasy” about it, it is nearly anhydrous alcohol and will evaporate so close to completely that it makes no difference.

Kevin Johnson QE

Joined Apr 29, 2021
To clarify, the rubber electronic contacts refer to it’s elastomeric connectors, as I can only imagine contamination of them would be capable of creating such an error, where conduction zones control one pixel row? I will be cautious and see if it can be done with wiping with just a dry q-tip (gently twisting away as I go in order to not cause scratching) good inspection with jewellers loop, then if no positive results use a quality brand name IPA spray, applying it to q-tip in close proximity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Most of us are very familiar with zebra connector. Sometimes, delamination rarher than contamination is the cause. if so, pressure will cure it.