running a 3 phase fryer from a 1 phase supply

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
As pointed out earlier, the indicated plate current/wattage points to phase to neutral elements.
i.e. Three banks.
Max.
As far as I can see, it just specifies the current in each phase. It doesn't specify whether the heaters are delta or star.
If they are star, it's just a matter of joining all three lives together and connecting it to a supply capable of the total current.
If they are delta then no heat at all!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As far as I can see, it just specifies the current in each phase. It doesn't specify whether the heaters are delta or star.
If they are star, it's just a matter of joining all three lives together and connecting it to a supply capable of the total current.
If they are delta then no heat at all!
As per my previous post, the current and wattage for 3 banks indicate that the voltage is 240v, which means they are connected phase to neutral for each bank.
Post #10.
The OP confirms the contactor is switching 3 phase and the neutral is passed through.
Max.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Rotary Phase Converters run on single phase power and generate 3 phase to power your equipment. Rotary phase converters rectify single phase AC power into DC then invert with proper phase angles
What you described is a VFD, not a rotary convertor. A Rotary Convertor uses a three phase motor supplied by single phase and then uses caps to balance the 3phase out put. The good thing about rotary convertors is that with each new motor running on one the power starts to look more like what comes from real 3phase mains. The motor/convertor after starting either by hand or a small pony motor, generates the third phase from the EMF in the rotor. It isn't frequency adjustable. Not much used these days since the price of VFD's has gotten so low.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
As per my previous post, the current and wattage for 3 banks indicate that the voltage is 240v, which means they are connected phase to neutral for each bank.
Post #10.
The OP confirms the contactor is switching 3 phase and the neutral is passed through.
Max.
Agreed. It will work single phase and needs a 230V 63A supply. Big blue plug!

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
What you described is a VFD, not a rotary convertor
Hello there
:) welcome to AAC.
Hindsight beating 20/20 my description may have been truncated to avoid the thread starter from falling asleep, what's a vfd does it stand for veteran fire department. My my insinsolents is intentional. Preparing for tonight's libation. I'm just pulling your leg
When I said welcome .:p
Your expertise in the field has helped me many times When you provide answers to questions to thread starters you you help me the reader of the post as well and you don't even know it. Along with the majority of the heavy hitters
Back to on topic.
Running a three phase motor on single phase power is simple. and I could run purely resistive loads even easier

from single phase power to three phase, I really hate reinventing the screw . Employing my command of electrical engineering principles in assistance to provide information to help practicing scientists determine the best fit of equipment for their needs and if not fabricate
And carry out the design I have used several times either a variable frequency drive or rotary phase converter is as required. Variable frequency drives come with a number of different single phase input for three phase output options.Variable frequency drives that go from single phase power to three phase are available in a wide range of voltage and power ratings: From120 Volt single phase input for 240 Volt three phase output, up to 1.5 horsepower; To 208-240 Volt single phase input for 240 Volt three phase output, up to 3 horsepower.

Variable frequency drives can also be derated to run three phase motors above 3 HP from single phase supply. Derating a VFD allows the particle physicist with 208-240 volt single phase power the ability to run 240 volt three phase equipment. I have modified and Derated VFD’s up to 20 HP for 208-240 Volt single phase supply.

Rotary phase converters (RPCs) will change single phase power to three phase but RPC’s are heavy and use many moving parts. RPC’s are old technology but RPC’s will be around for years to come because some applications that go from single phase power to three phase cannot use a VFD; VFD’s can go from single phase to three phase for electric motor driven applications; but RPC’s can go from single phase to three phase on applications with and without electric motors

to convert single phase above 3 HP, know that for the 240 VAC 3 Phase Variable Frequency Drives can be derated for single phase input. This gives 240 VAC users support for converting single phase input to three phase output for 240 VAC motors up to 20 HP.
Essentially all you need to do is wire the single phase power to the input side of your variable frequency drive and then wire the three phase power of your motor to the output section of the drive. That’s it. for running a three phase motor from single phase power is the purchase of a rotary phase converter. Rotary phase converters are great because they can generate a clean three phase signal from single phase power.

A third, and not frequently used, option is to get three phase power from a generator. Many people don’t consider this as an alternative. Propane and gas generators can generate clean three phase power to run three phase motors. This is a great solution for those who are needing a portable or emergency setup for their motor setups..
:cool:

There is also the motor generator technique.

The big problem is just the shear power. 3 phase power computations are a bit different. https://sciencing.com/convert-threephase-power-amps-5788279.html Each element would receive a voltage that's 120 degrees out of phase at any given time, so they really would not all be on at the same time when using 3 phase.

60 A 240 can be the power for an entire house although 200 A 240V is a common service. A Gas home (heating, cooking and hot water) and no Air conditioning, don't expect a 200A service.

Generators, VFD's and services need to look a VA or Volts * Amps. When the load is forst turned on the resistance may be lower, so for an instant your source has to supply a lot more current.

The heating elements are likely Nichrome, so there is some effect. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/rstiv.html

I had to re-wire a vapour dryer at work because the wiring was undersized. Vapour dryers are essentially a precision dryer that dryes things without spots and contamination (semiconductor industry). Our earlier dryers were based on Freon TF.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
The main point here is that there is no motor. There is no device that requires a rotating phase sequence. Nothing is wired phase-to-phase. The ONLY reason that this appliance is three phase is to keep the phase currents in the building reasonably balanced.
If there is no three-phase supply, then it would work perfectly well on single phase. Just join the three lives together and connect it via a suitable plug and socket.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-power-connectors/6796915/
( I always thought that VFD stood for Vacuum Fluorescent Display, not Veteran Fire Department)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't see any point in confusing the issue by introducing VFD's and other complicated methods for 3 banks of 240v 1ph heater elements? o_O
It is just confusing the issue!:rolleyes:
Max.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
If the power is too much for your wiring then unplug one of the heating elements. I think we are talking 20A per element. Reducing the elements will slow the worm up time but will probable took the turkey just fine.

Next; the wires (brown) for each element look fine. (20A each) The blue wire will have to carry 60A, in single phase mode. That I worry about. Think about using Red & Yellow as one wire and Blue & Blue as another wire in the cable. With a little rewiring you will have 30A/wire.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the power is too much for your wiring then unplug one of the heating elements. I think we are talking 20A per element. Reducing the elements will slow the worm up time but will probable took the turkey just fine.

Next; the wires (brown) for each element look fine. (20A each) The blue wire will have to carry 60A, in single phase mode. That I worry about. Think about using Red & Yellow as one wire and Blue & Blue as another wire in the cable. With a little rewiring you will have 30A/wire.
16a-16,7a per bank. x3
Max.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Get it a new cable - 10mm^2 H07RNF, with the proper colour code. If you connect a 3-phase cable in odd ways, some electrician will have to sort it out later. It's already a bit of a mess with brown-blue-green/yellow wiring internal and an old-fashioned red-yellow-blue-black-green 3-phase supply cable, so it already has blue as both live and neutral.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It's already a bit of a mess with brown-blue-green/yellow wiring internal and an old-fashioned red-yellow-blue-black-green 3-phase supply cable, so it already has blue as both live and neutral.
Not sure of the units origin, but until recently in N.A. a yellow conductor indicated a live conductor that was live when any disconnected was off and originated from another enclosure, now it is Orange, conforming to EU standard.
The OP's country of origin is so far unknown?
I see the unit has a UK origin.
Max.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
EU and UK standard for 3-phase is Brown-Black-Grey for lives, Blue for Neutral and green-yellow for earth.
Internal wiring can be any colour except that green-yellow may only be used for earth and blue may only be used for neutral.
The live = red-yellow-blue, neutral = black, earth = green standard is the old British standard.