RF Detector 2.4GHZ

RealMccoy13x

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Hello,
First and foremost I want to introduce myself as I have visited this site many times, but never needed to make a post. Mostly I am a hobbyist, but I do occasionally develop, and code items that are used for work.

I am restarting a project that I abandoned awhile back due to the amount of false positives that I received back during my test run. It is being restarted due to an Innovation Competition internally at my place of work and I have decided to build it from the ground up.

What I am actually looking for is references to experts or a community dealing with RF. This is pretty much the closest I have come for what I am trying to achieve. I have managed to amplify a RF detector/sniffer to reach out a greater lengths, but I was trying to isolate only the the BlueTooth signals in area (specific ones).

It did work, but it was catching wifi as well even though some parameters which I helped out with were placed in. Since I am now revisiting this project again I think I need to consult with someone with a better understanding from start to finish. If you know of a group, community, person, or documentation please let me know. However, I am not interested in a pre-made product. Thanks in advance.

simozz

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hello,
It did work, but it was catching wifi as well (...) I am not interested in a pre-made product
Did you use a Bluetooth IC stack ? If so: which one is it ? Did you also respect the datasheet parameters, also PCB suggestions from manufacturer ? This is important.
You could start posting your project (here or on github) so someone could take it a look.
simozz

RealMccoy13x

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Hello,

Did you use a Bluetooth IC stack ? If so: which one is it ? Did you also respect the datasheet parameters, also PCB suggestions from manufacturer ? This is important.
You could start posting your project (here or on github) so someone could take it a look.
simozz
The first build was a pretty rugged proof of concept. While I could have cut a PCB board or utilized an arduino paired with some adafruit add on to achieve something of the same outcome I opted to simply cut out all of that and use an existing solution which was to solder the radio to a USB Bluetooth adapter with some minor modifications. From there you would need an interface to monitor frequencies. Running it against a database of well known declared Bluetooth device ids was not a problem. The unknowns which happen to be SSIDs for WIFI were. In answer to your question a Bluetooth stack is not out of the question since it is being built from the ground up. I need to focus on if I went wrong on hardware. Software can be corrected pretty easily even if i decide to go a different route. Thank you for your feedback

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

RE:"However, I am not interested in a pre-made product."

Sorry to note the fact that this sniffer is just the thingy what costs to buy no more than a glass of whiskey, but to design it DIY You must have a five years of free time and scientific degree instrumentation of dozen millions of honey-money. That is an instrument what ultimately must be bought ready-made.

Generally there are two kind of such - one is three-axis or one-axis RF field-strength meters, where one model I have is ebay.com/itm/Tenmars-TM-195-3-Axis-EMF-RF-High-Frequency-Filed-Strength-Meter-50MHz-3-5GHz-/162614749649?hash=item25dc9829d1:g:pNsAAOSw6WlZgaR7 capable between the 30MHz and 3GHz (brilliant and worth to trust instrument).

Other is rather cheap 5Hz to 6GHz one-axe instrument like GM3120 (ebay.com/itm/GM3120-Digital-Electromagnetic-Radiation-Detector-Meter-Dosimeter-Tester-Counter-/232392609611?epid=819168977&hash=item361badcf4b:g:q4EAAOSwFJBZVbZf) which is not very trustable but anyway the range is what I need sometimes.

When the need is more specific about frequency determination or multi-frequency detection or so much like a signal sequence (code) deciphering there is no better thingy at the markets like few dollars cheap SDR USB DVB-T like ebay.com/itm/DVB-T-DAB-FM-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-Mini-USB-RTL-SDR-ADS-B-Receiver-Stick-UP-/272782589898?hash=item3f831bffca:g:d4MAAOSw3v5XIwth
having a limit around 1,49 GHz what is hardly too small for my plays.

Therefore I obtained much expensiver thingy but more capricious in the work. It is Hack-RF like ebay.com/itm/HackRF-One-RTL-SDR-Software-Defined-Radio-Board-1MHz-to-6GHz-Open-Source-USB2-0-/282601665816?hash=item41cc5f3518:g:0wgAAOSwx6pYsuTv
only I bought it about twice cheaper. Its wondrous - few moments of headache and witchcraft into manuals, and You have a full spectrum of signal with each frequency measured, modulation specified and on demand a sequence saved. I checked it to my VW car, for my terrify, the sequence of door-lock after-played indeed opened the lock and security module obeyed. Damn the fools designed those lock. Anyway, there is no at the market beyond the million-cost products any better meter available. The range is 1 MHz to 6 GHz.