Reversing permanent magnet dc motor polarity for reverse

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes but not Induction, as in squirrel cage motor.
In the above the current is not induced.
Max.
Yes, either way there is no PM to be cooked by heat from no cooling fan flow. I've seen both types running while on fire until the wire insulation burned and shorted the power. :eek:

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Yes, either way there is no PM to be cooked by heat from no cooling fan flow. I've seen both types running while on fire until the wire insulation burned and shorted the power. :eek:
Here’s what I don’t understand, the tm pulley with the fins move very very minuscule amounts of air. I am turning a 1/2 inch roller with 5-10 ten pound load on it max. It only needs to spin at 60 rpm. This means this motor will only be working at 1/10 (guestamation) of what it can do. The pulley alone on a treadmill weighs more than the max load I’m putting on this motor. FIRE IS NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE. Sorry this shouldn’t have been a reply to anyone specifically. I think we all agree.
If I were to put a usb pocket fan aimed at the motor, I believe it would provide more air than the pulley does. This is all anecdotal and based on dangerously putting my hand near those fins to get a feel for how much air they moved, but all due to the concern currently being discussed.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Motor types and functionality aside - the fan cools the motor. That's the point I'm trying to make. If the motor gets warm, even hot it can scorch surrounding materials, which MAY lead to fire danger. Let's not get hung up on different types of motors and how they function. I'm focused on the flywheel of the TM Motor which has cooling fins. Without them the motor COULD run warmer than expected.
But as I already explained, the typical T.M. motor with 10lb - 15lb flywheel ran at relatively low rpm and heavy load is an exception that is designed for that particular application, when it is removed from that application and used in a completely less strenuous use, as in lathe/mill/drill spindle the current demand is less frequent and varying.
I once did some empirical tests on a 2. HP T.M. motor, no load, with and without flywheel, with no flywheel fitted, the voltage was raised from zero rpm to max operating rating and the current read 2a throughout the whole range.
Which of course was totally different with the flywheel attached, where the load did not drop below 10a.
Max.

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Motor types and functionality aside - the fan cools the motor. That's the point I'm trying to make. If the motor gets warm, even hot it can scorch surrounding materials, which MAY lead to fire danger. Let's not get hung up on different types of motors and how they function. I'm focused on the flywheel of the TM Motor which has cooling fins. Without them the motor COULD run warmer than expected.
Thank you for your concern and your consistency on the forum. Good looking out, and good man for taking the unpopular position in the name of safety! It is better to have it t then not need than to need it and not have it.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
But as I already explained, the typical T.M. motor with 10lb - 15lb flywheel ran at relatively low rpm and heavy load is an exception that is designed for that particular application, when it is removed from that application and used in a completely less strenuous use, as in lathe/mill/drill spindle the current demand is less frequent and varying.
I once did some empirical tests on a 2. HP T.M. motor, no load, with and without flywheel, with no flywheel fitted, the voltage was raised from zero rpm to max operating rating and the current read 2a throughout the whole range.
Which of course was totally different with the flywheel attached, where the load did not drop below 10a.
Max.
OK. I'm not experienced in all things so I extrapolate some of what I think I know. I DO know that sometimes I'm wrong. That's life. And that's also an opportunity to learn something. Sometimes.

I find it interesting that a TMM with no flywheel draws 20% of what it draws when the flywheel is on. It's hard to imagine the extra weight, once up to RPM, would contribute to that much more current. Unless it's moving that much air, or seeing that much wind restriction.
Thank you for your concern and your consistency on the forum. Good looking out, and good man for taking the unpopular position in the name of safety! It is better to have it t then not need than to need it and not have it.
Safety is always the first thing to be considered. Though many times we (I personally) may take shortcuts only to learn the hard way. Like working with a light switch or an outlet and NOT turning the breaker off first. Though I'd be quick to tell you it's foolish to mess with live wires - admittedly, too many times I've gone ahead and shocked myself. Like I said, "an opportunity to learn something. Sometimes." Sometimes not.

Now that you're armed with sufficient information you may be ready to proceed. Provided you've had all your questions answered satisfactorily, and comprehended.

Good luck to you.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I find it interesting that a TMM with no flywheel draws 20% of what it draws when the flywheel is on. It's hard to imagine the extra weight, once up to RPM, would contribute to that much more current. Unless it's moving that much air, or seeing that much wind restriction.
The motor still has to move the load the flywheel provides, the inertia decreases the RPM that the motor would be seeing without the flywheel load, therefore the difference in applied voltage and the generated voltage is greater, causing an increase in current.
The greater the difference between the two, the greater the current.
Max.

Hutch2793

Joined Jul 7, 2020
OK. I'm not experienced in all things so I extrapolate some of what I think I know. I DO know that sometimes I'm wrong. That's life. And that's also an opportunity to learn something. Sometimes.

Safety is always the first thing to be considered. Though many times we (I personally) may take shortcuts only to learn the hard way. Like working with a light switch or an outlet and NOT turning the breaker off first. Though I'd be quick to tell you it's foolish to mess with live wires - admittedly, too many times I've gone ahead and shocked myself. Like I said, "an opportunity to learn something. Sometimes." Sometimes not.

Now that you're armed with sufficient information you may be ready to proceed. Provided you've had all your questions answered satisfactorily, and comprehended.

Good luck to you.
You have helped me before. I wasn’t being sarcastic. I know people have given you a hard time on other threads for trying to advocate caution, but it is appreciated. I meant to say something last thread that everyone was being pretty harsh and I didn’t, so I’m saying it now.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
You have helped me before. I wasn’t being sarcastic. I know people have given you a hard time on other threads for trying to advocate caution, but it is appreciated. I meant to say something last thread that everyone was being pretty harsh and I didn’t, so I’m saying it now.
I took no offense. People are free to have their opinions. Me included. And when someone doesn't agree with me - - - that's no problem to me.