Reversing a battery charger

Lawrence H

Joined May 6, 2019
Hey!

I am working on something, and it is currently too late to go and buy a pack for four AA batteries that I could use to power something. I do have rechargeable batteries, and a charger than can charge four of them at once.

There are a couple of screws on it so at least some part of the charger can be opened. I was wondering, how difficult would it be to make it so that it would not actually charge the batteries, but work as a power source, and what changes would one have to make on it to have it work as a power source?

Thanks!

Lawrence H

Joined May 6, 2019
What kind of batteries is the charger intended for - NiCd, NimH, Lithium?
It says it is for Ni-MH. I bought the batteries and the charger at the same time from the same place, and from the same brand, so I would imagine the batteries are meant for this exact charger.

The screws on it are a bit odd though, so I don't think I can manage to open it. There are two notches on the outside edge of the screw, rather than there being a notch in the middle of the screw like normal. I won't violently open it unless I know what change I am to make.

EDIT:

I got tunnel vision. I rolled a piece of paper around a battery, secured it with tape, and dropped 3 batteries into the roll, and secured the other end with more tape, and now I have a battery pack. It's not perfect but it will do for now so I can carry on what I was working on.

Last edited: