Resistor types

mbek

Joined Oct 30, 2011
Hello,

I'm in need of a non-wirewound resistor, and I've got a couple of them at hand, but don't know if they really are non-wirewound. One type is your regular shaped resistor (a bit thick though - 0.1Ohm, 1W), I suppose this one is carbon film?
The other one is square shaped, 0.1 Ohm 5W - this one I found on the internet http://www.peccomponents.com/pca.htm and I think it is wirewound ("axial type" ?) but am not sure.

Please advise, are these wirewound?

Thank you.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
They are ceramic encased, but the rest is unknown. I'd be guessing sand, but the datasheet doesn't readily offer an answer.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The square ceramic resistors are almost always wire wound.

There are some wire wound resistors that the manufacturers classify as "non-inductive". These resistors have the resistive wire element snaking back and fourth along the length of the resistor, rather than wound around a core. There is still a small amount of inductance, but it is vastly reduced from a standard type wire wound.

The 1-watt cylindrical could be either. If it were thick-film carbon or metal film, then it would be non-inductive.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
They also make non inductive wire wound types which have two windings wrapped in opposite directions on separate layers that look exactly like a typical standard wirewound from the outside. Can't tell just by looking.