Resistor Colour Code

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
About @Wolframore 's signature:
Bad Boys Ravish Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly- remember your resistor colors!

Moved from here.

This would fit your thread:

Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I learned "Bad Boys ravishes our young girls, but violet gives willingly". It is a mnemonic it is silly to be offended by it. I would still teach it today, which is pertinent, as I will be actually be teaching electronics classes to beginners in the near future. The only thing I would consider over the top is an obscene word, but even then culture makes a huge difference, to a British person, the word bloody is not said in polite company while yanks (Americans) just scratch our heads and shrug our shoulders. Odd as it may seem, Their is a culture divide within the USA that is at least as profound. Many eastern seaboard values are closer to British norms than southwestern states in the USA, like Texas. California is a whole different kettle of fish from either.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I can do ravishes... that way I don't have to relearn the whole thing... I still use it sometimes when I don't know the resistor value.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
No offence but we are so PC they're now making it illegal to pray at Boy Scouts... Oh and girls can now join. I dread the day they will stop saying the pledge of allegiance there like they did at school.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Last comment about this. It was a shock when I heard it. I couldn’t believe my nerdy instructors were actually saying something like this. But it had the effect they wanted. It is etched into my memory and I will never forget even the moment they presented this. There are some theories about this effect (rude, offensive and insulting mnemonic) and was quite prevalent but due to politically correct it’s all getting insipid including my memory.

If you’re beyond it and can recite it by color and number then that’s great but it’s a very effective tool for people who want to remember this and not have to check it on a computer or some sort of card.

I still have tons of through hole resistors for breadboarding so I’m sure I’ll keep muttering this to myself because my bag of assorted resistors from radio shack wasn’t labeled and I don’t need it and I don’t do enough of it to just recall it by number yet.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The way I learned it was far far worse, involving a racial designation and a capital crime.

I was shocked that the physics prof stated it that way.

Bob

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No offence but we are so PC they're now making it illegal to pray at Boy Scouts... Oh and girls can now join. I dread the day they will stop saying the pledge of allegiance there like they did at school.
Cheese off wolf! I didn't need a piece of crap like to remember important information. A pig doesn't know he is wallowing in slop unless someone points it out. The rest of you clowns probably wouldn't be offended until one of your daughters had been assaulted. Being such a father puts a whole new perspective on it. I also won't let you bully me into thinking everybody is too PC. I'm offended and that's all there is to that. You want to be a bunch of sleazy perverts that objectify women and young young girls you go right ahead. I hope you choke on your own bile.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Can we please open a different thread for this conversation? I have a daughter and now a grand daughter... it has nothing to do with that... I happen to have some great friends who would be offended by this as well... it's just a tool... get over it. Sorry to offend you barvo... not intended:

Here are some examples from the medical profession: for some reason many believe that rude or sexual ones are the easiest to remember...
Many of these are made up by females of the profession... whatever works for you... not everyone has perfect recall and photographic memory.

Bones of the hand: Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle - Scaphoid, Lunate, Triquetrate, Pisiform, Trapezium, trapezoid, Capitate, Hamate

Homos take too much meth - Homocystinuria => Potential methionine excess

Cranial Nerve Function (Motor, sensory, or both) - Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@Wolframore
A small suggestion... If it's going to be your signature, check the grammar. Subject-verb agreement is important. Consistent capitalization is probably less so, but indicates attention to detail. You might consider more capitals and/or highlighted letters. Delete the "get some now," as that is ambiguous.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is an old principle on AAC. that the TS controls their thread, Mnemonics are not about grammar, but completely about memorization. For a mnemonic to work it must be relevant and easy (grammar does not enter into it).

Please try not to drag this thread too far off topic.