Replating Electrical Terminals

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
@shortbus, I would love to be able to just replace these terminals but as you can see from the pictures, it may not be that easy. Very hard to find the source of such pieces as you must know coming from Delphi and the secret compilations of OEM proprietary data. I need to coat the large terminal and sometimes replace some of the smaller terminals around it due to corrosion. I usually steal them from another board.
These types of fuse box terminals I see a lot. Two in front of me right now actually. I usually just sand them down clean, flux the hell out of it then use hot air and a iron with knife tip wedge full blast to tin it with solder. After its all done I sand it smooth .Looks brand new again. i will do the same with some of the pins when they are heavily oxidized. If it needs more material I'll use copper sheets/tape or even solder wick in a pinch.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
@narkeleptk, I have been doing basically the same thing for a while now. I was just looking for a faster and cleaner method of doing it because I do so many now. I have a company that may throw them in with their larger orders and charge me peanuts for it so that may be my best bet.