Replacing pot in DS201 Drawmer audio gate

bitconductor

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Hi,
I'm an absolute beginner though did some simple soldering as a youth.
I'm looking to replace an intermittent pot in my Drawmer DS201 gate.
I think the part is a 4k7 potentiometer - I've circled it in the attached diagram - it's the 'Range' knob.
Please will someone advise me what I need to buy and from where?
In more affluent times I would simply have paid someone to do the work for me but I'm forced to try and do this myself.
I use the gate to auto-duck music under speech for a live radio show. It's been working on-and-off for a couple of years but now is cutting out all the time.
Thank you so much in advance :)

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

The part is a 4.7kΩ potentiometer, which is a very common part. What the schematic doesn‘t show are the physical characteristics. Is is a panel mount control? A trimmer on the PCB?

How do you know it is defective?

bitconductor

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Thank you!
It’s panel mounted - photo attached.
I believe it’s defective because the signal often cuts out but by carefully manipulating the knob (turning it back and forth slightly and applying pressure to in and the signal comes back (for a bit). Sometimes if you turn the unit off and on again the signal returns but I believe it’s this knob that’s the trouble. I used Servisol on all the knobs when I first got the unit out of storage 2 years ago. Several were crackly but all the others seem now to be ok.
There are 2 Range knobs - one on each channel. Though I’ve got the Stereo Link switch on both Range knobs seem to be intermittent and cut out.

Attachments

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
The contact cleaner needs to be applied directly into the pots.
This is usually a short term fix.
The component you require is a low cost item.
However they come in various forms as mentioned by Ya'akov.
If you could take a picture of the pot, then we can see what type it is.
Good luck..........

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What you need is a LINEAR taper pot, either 4.7Kor 5K. Audio taper pots do not have a constant resistance change per unit of rotation, this application will be better with a linear pot.

bitconductor

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Thanks. There are so many on DigiKey! And a great range of prices.
What power wattage will I need? Some of the 5k ohms 2w power ones look like they might fit but I should try and measure up with a ruler and see if my measurements match the diagram

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Based on the circuit we were given the pot does not need to handle any power. So that will save you some money. The big challenge will be the physical fit.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Measure the dimensions of the terminal spacing, the depth of the housing, the diameter of the panel mount, the diameter of the shaft and the length of the shaft.

Find a candidate and look at the data sheet. It will have physical dimensions listed on it that’s what you have to match. electrically it’s not much of a challenge, but you might have to adjust your expectations about where the knob is turned to to get the results you are familiar with.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
As I look very closely at the photos I see that none of the solder connections to the pots look good. So there is a bit of a chance that the problem is a poor solder connection. It would probably be worth remelting the solder connections just to see if that fixed the problem. Sometimes a failed solder connection on a control happens.