Replacing door handle puddle lamp LEDs

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
I have a 2012 Audi C7 with puddle lamps in my door handles. One of them was not working, so I decided to open up and investigate. I found that it was water damaged.
I want to upgrade them anyway, due to them not being very bright.
Originally, they are 2835 chips, though that is a bit limiting. I have just enough space for an XML Cree chip, though no room for a heatsink. It will only run for 30 seconds or so at a time, a couple of times a day. Can I get away with this? Is there any point in adding heatsink paste under the chip. I realise a PCB is not a great conductor of heat, but better than nothing?

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
I have purchased a lightbox which I plan to use as a lit-up sign high up. I want the ability to turn it on, without having to climb up to it. Unfortunately, it is a capacitive touch switch and the lightbox is sealed up pretty tightly (can't get to the inside of the switch). Fortunately, I will be putting a frame on top of where the switch is, so what I do on top of the switch, can be messy. So ultimately the question is... What can I glue on top of the switch with a wire attached that won't induce the current itself, but when I touch the end of it, then it will induce and operate the lightbox?

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What part requires a touch to switch it on? 12 volt adapters are quite common, and a non-touch one would be a solution. For the light box, that would be a big issue.
AND how does this relate to " a 2012 Audi C7 with puddle lamps in my door handles "??? That was the first post.

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
What part requires a touch to switch it on? 12 volt adapters are quite common, and a non-touch one would be a solution. For the light box, that would be a big issue.
AND how does this relate to " a 2012 Audi C7 with puddle lamps in my door handles "??? That was the first post.
I am quite confused as to why my two topics were merged into one thread (it was done by an admin). It is a bit cluttered and hard to get responses to.

The frame of the lightbox has the power sign on it. The switch must be touched after the unit is powered up for it to turn on, there seems to be no way around this.