Replacing current constant LED driver with different one

Janer

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hi to all.

I have LED light which driver burned out. Specifications of that driver are AC 80-230V -> DC 24-40, 1050mA %5.

The problem is that here where I live I can find only LED driver with these specifications: 24-40V, 1500mA.
Can I use that driver if I put resistor in that circuit? And resistor of how many ohms do I need?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi J,
Welcome to AAC.
The burnt out driver is most likely a constant current driver, say 1050mA, using a constant driver of 1500mA would not be a good idea, it could damage the LED's.
Adding a resistor will not work as the driver would still output 1500mA.

Do you have a part number or web link for the burnt out driver.?

E

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The 1500mA driver may have an adjustable limit which you could set at 1000mA. Ask the supplier, or check the specification/datasheet.

Janer

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Thank you all on replys.

Part number is ZR-A03-50W
1500mA available to me doesn't have adjustable limit.
The ones from ebay are priceir than the new led light with driver.

I thought that their is a simple (and cheap) solution to limit LED from taking more than 1050mA.

Janer

Joined Feb 1, 2018
But on that list I can't see anyone that has voltage span 24-40V and amperage of 1050mA. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Janer

Joined Feb 1, 2018
The one you linked at post #4 with shipping is $48,07. And new light is $40.
I consider it's reasonable to go to about 20$ if the whole new product is 40$.

Eric, on the list you gave, I can see only 900mA and 1500Ma ones.
And about your sentence: "Adding a resistor will not work as the driver would still output 1500mA."
I don't mind if the driver gives output of 1500mA. I just don't want LED diode gets more than 1050mA from that. Why wouldn't current limiting resistor be good solution in this case?

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
A constant current is just that, it will enable a 1500mA to flow thru a series resistor and the LED string.
If it was a Voltage driver you could add a series resistor.

You could build your own 1050mA CC driver if you are technically able, we could post circuit.??
Which section of the old CC is burnt out.?
E

Janer

Joined Feb 1, 2018
I still haven't take a look at driver; it's at my friend's house. I'll take a look today or tomorrow after work.
You can post circuit, of course, if not for me then maybe for someone else who will find it helpful.

Bertus, thank you for your help, but I am from Croatia and on the top of that 14 pounds I would pay around 15-20 pounds for shipping.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

An other option would be a resistor parallel to the led.
The resistor should be able to take the current and "burn" the energy away as heat.
What leds are you using?

Bertus