Replacing an old 6514 SRAM

vagom

Joined Jul 18, 2017
Hi, I am a maintenace supervisor in São Paulo subway, we need to replace an old 6514 SRAM, we have serious troubles to buy this obsolets chips.
Can someone help us with some circuit to replace a bank of this chips?

Thanks

Eng. Valdir Gomes

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
We are a public company, we cant buy on e-bay or similar sites. We really need to replace with something that we can buy in local market.

Thanks.
If you cant purchase from non compliant source you need to discard/scrap the appliance.

Guess the IC is non support from compliant sources.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
We are a public company, we cant buy on e-bay or similar sites.
What does being a public company have to do with buying off e-bay or similar sites? With a part that old, you're going to have a difficult time finding a replacement. I agree with @takao21203 in that you will have to scrap your appliance and find a modern equivalent. Now that is efficient use of public funds.

We really need to replace with something that we can buy in local market.
Then why are you here? Why aren't you using your local market sources?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
My Ohio Scientific Inc. C1P SBC , that I bought in 1980, has 16 chips of 2114 of SRAM and I bought an extra 16 2114 for spares.

When I construct my COSMAC ELF 1802 computer in the 90's, Mr Lee Harts in the Yahoo COSMAC Group was kind enough to offer me 2 pieces of 5114 for free when I bought the 1802 CPU chips from him. Not sure if he still has any more leftovers.

In the 80's, the Ericsson AXE exchange that I worked used 1K x 1 bits SRAM for the DS card used in the RP (Regional Processor) Each card has 18 chips of 1Kx1 of SRAM making it 2Kx9 memory card (8 bit data +1 for parity). Couldnt remember the chip number. As the chip went bad quite often, my engineer was thinking of a way to replace the 16 chips with a CMOS 2K byte SRAM plus 2 1Kx1 SRAM for parity.

Before we could put this into practice, Ericsson completely redesigned a new RP with the RAM integrated into the processor card with DRAM. I didn't take any of the cards home for my collection, or else I can show a picture of the card here.

BTW, how many SRAM chips were used for your memory and how are the memory organised?
Can you design a daughter card with modern SRAM like 6264 or 62256 to replace partial or all the SRAM?

Allen

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi, I am a maintenace supervisor in São Paulo subway, we need to replace an old 6514 SRAM, we have serious troubles to buy this obsolets chips.
Can someone help us with some circuit to replace a bank of this chips?

Thanks

Eng. Valdir Gomes
Sometimes with SRAM - you can just use a higher capacity part and pull up (or down) any unused address lines.

A board full of them probably entails ripping them all out and patching in a single SRAM chip with at least as much capacity as the whole board.

You might locate original parts from a NOS broker, but they usually only entertain large orders - and aren't known for being cheap.

vagom

Joined Jul 18, 2017
Sometimes with SRAM - you can just use a higher capacity part and pull up (or down) any unused address lines.

A board full of them probably entails ripping them all out and patching in a single SRAM chip with at least as much capacity as the whole board.

You might locate original parts from a NOS broker, but they usually only entertain large orders - and aren't known for being cheap.
Thanks, I will use this solution, I'm in a process of selection to not chose another obsolete memory.
Just to clarify, as a public company we need three diferents supliers to chosse the best price, this three companys have to submit proposes so we can choose the supplier.

Eng. Valdir Gomes

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thanks, I will use this solution, I'm in a process of selection to not chose another obsolete memory.
Just to clarify, as a public company we need three diferents supliers to chosse the best price, this three companys have to submit proposes so we can choose the supplier.

Eng. Valdir Gomes
AFAIK; SRAM is getting harder to come by, the 0.6" form factor started getting thin on the ground. 0.3" SRAM chips were very popular for a while for cache/scratchpad memory on older PC motherboards. They're probably easy to find among newer SE Asia silicon foundries.