Replacing a washing machine pump

alchemizt

Joined Mar 23, 2021
To replace a washing machine pump, does it have to be a specific pump made for your model of washing machine, or can any pump function?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Try Gooleing "mabe service manual" and "mabe spares". I found a number of hits for mabe service manuals but you will have to search as you have not provided a model number. Many parts suppliers in the UK provide lists of parts for washing machines.

Les.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Part availability depends greatly on your location.
For the wash machine pump, and I am guessing that it is a separate device with it's own motor, in which case the primary things to match are the motor voltage and the flow rate.
Some models might use a reversible motor , which could be either DC or AC.
What has failed with the pump? I have not seen one of the separate pumps fail.

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
I'm late to the party!
Has the the pump failed mechanically or electrically?
Is the impellor damaged or blocked by that missing sock?
If it was mine, I would introduce to a similar pump.
Please keep us updated on your success.
Good luck..................

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Google your washing machine model number. You should get hits from several appliance parts vendors. Many have manuals, and for the more popular models you may even score a video showing the exact steps for replacement.

I've done this for dish washers and clothes washers and my fridge shelves with good results.

Of course, once you have the actual replacement part number Google that to find the best price + shipping.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It certainly is fairly easy for a small item to get into the circulation portion of a washer. I have discovered that twice. So that should be the first thing to check, which will require disconnecting the hoses to the pump in question. But, given the price of a replacement pump, it will be worth the effort spent. And if the pump is actually failed, then the present pump would need to be removed anyway. It will be worth while to check the associated hoses for blockages , in case the blockage is not right at the pump.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
What has failed with the pump? I have not seen one of the separate pumps fail.
Neither have I
Is the impellor damaged or blocked by that missing sock?
Seen blockages before. One machine I opened - someone had washed a quilt and it came apart. The pump was clogged with stuffing from the quilt.
I took apart a neighbors pump only to find a toothpick lodged in the impeller. Think of the odds of a lowly toothpick getting that far.
Odds are better than you'd think. I've heard of gold chains going down the drains with industrial washers, the kind you find at laundromats. I knew an operator and she'd show me all the coins and chains she'd find. Keys and more stuff than I can remember. And I have shoes with memory foam; though evidence suggests they don't really aid in memory.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yeah things can get into weird places. One washer I was fixing would not drain after a wash, so I ordered another drain pump. As I was removing the existing pump a sock popped out the drain line, plus a couple gallons of dirty water right into my face.

Left existing pump, reinstalled drain line, and used that washer another 5 or so years.