Replacement LED

Jrlaidle

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Unfortunately, I already checked the fuse and it is good. I am convinced it is the LED as you can see discoloration on two of the individual diodes on the disc. I have multiple fixtures in the house that are out and they all show discolored diodes. The ones that are working have clear diodes.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Unfortunately, I already checked the fuse and it is good. I am convinced it is the LED as you can see discoloration on two of the individual diodes on the disc. I have multiple fixtures in the house that are out and they all show discolored diodes. The ones that are working have clear diodes.
The LEDs are definitely dead. The design was such that they drove them too hard. What did this come out of, exactly?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Attached. I have 4 that have failed all over the house. The house is 5 years old. A new fixture is $40. Hoping to find the LED for way cheaper.
There is a chance that you can replace the LEDs but you need to know the output voltage of the driver. It will be DC and you can measure it with a basic multimeter BUT you must avoid contact with anything connected to the mains. Carefully measure the voltage across the TERMINALS where the red and blue wires are soldered.

You can get various sizes of LED arrays on circular aluminum PCBs like that, but you have to have the right voltage.

Jrlaidle

Joined Apr 27, 2021
There is a chance that you can replace the LEDs but you need to know the output voltage of the driver. It will be DC and you can measure it with a basic multimeter BUT you must avoid contact with anything connected to the mains. Carefully measure the voltage across the TERMINALS where the red and blue wires are soldered.

You can get various sizes of LED arrays on circular aluminum PCBs like that, but you have to have the right voltage.
Once I determine the voltage, where would you recommend purchasing from?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Theoretically, you could repair the array by replacing the LEDs, they are 3030 SMD LEDs, but desoldering and soldering on an aluminum PCB requires special techniques and experience, it is not recommended.

You would pay more for parts, tools, and time than the cost of new and better lumieres.

Jrlaidle

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Theoretically, you could repair the array by replacing the LEDs, they are 3030 SMD LEDs, but desoldering and soldering on an aluminum PCB requires special techniques and experience, it is not recommended.

You would pay more for parts, tools, and time than the cost of new and better lumieres.
How do I know a good or better array from one that will fail like these did? Also, I am concerned with finding the same color as the others in the house.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
How do I know a good or better array from one that will fail like these did? Also, I am concerned with finding the same color as the others in the house.
Finding a proper fit is the best you can hope for. The specs for the LEDs in terms of output are on the housing:

1619535031578.png

3000K and a CR of 190. The 900Lm output is probably using the LEDs beyond their tolerance for heat, hence they die.

If you buy new lumieres, and put them on dimmers keeping them low, they will last much longer, possibly indefinitely. The manufacturers push the LEDs to save money. They could use more and drive them less but that is more expensive.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Looks like only 2 LED are bad.
At least two, yes. But replacing them is not for the uninitiated into the wonderful world of aluminum PCBs that want preheating and a really good iron, and some prayer.

Also, if you look verrrrrry carefully, it looks like the other LEDs are just waiting around wondering when the electron with their name on it will pass through...