Removing the bios battery, computer is not working?

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
Hello

I have removed the bios battery and re-put it again because I wanted to remove the bios password, and now my computer is not working?

can you please tell me what is happening?

this is the screen that is coming on after I switch the computer on. I changed the boot order and put the hard disk as the first one, but still doesn’t work. it looks like the hard disk does not have any more the software.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
Have you tried entering the bios setup program - usually a two key combination shown at the start of switch on [alt + del] perhaps?
yeah i did it but when i start the windows it shows up that error like if the os is no longer installed on the hard disk

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Getting the clock set properly can often make a big difference. You may also have to respecify the boot order.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
At least in some computerized equipment the manufacturers put all of the software into a battery backed up ram, and when the battery ran down it became a $2500 paper weight. You may have a similar bios situation.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Make sure the clock is correct. Also it sounds like the hard disks may not be configured properly in the BIOS. Go into the area where it defines the hard disks and make sure they are set up properly. Look at which ports the hard disks are plugged into and be sure those ports are enabled in BIOS. Also check if the mode of the controller is correct. Some BIOS supports RAID, so depending on how your disks were set up you may have to try both RAID or AHCI modes. If the disks were in a RAID array then it might get more complicated depending on your BIOS. If the BIOS doesn't see the disks then it won't boot. Avoid anything that writes to the disk until you get it figured out. Also it's trying to PXE boot (from the network adapter), probably because it cannot find the hard disks, but double check to be sure booting from hard disk is at the top of the boot order list. You may want to disable PXE boot just so you don't have to wait for it all the time.

For future reference; there is often a jumper for clearing the password.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I'm resurrecting an old WinME system, and just went through this.

If this is a desktop computer, you need to get into the BIOS setup program. This is not on the hard drive, it is built into the BIOS. Make sure the monitor is on so you catch the first glimpse of anything the computer puts out. It will be the key sequence for the BIOS setup. On mine it is the DEL key. Often it is F8.

Assuming you don't have the hard drive parameters (heads, sectors, etc.) written down, you probably can select an auto-detect option. And enable the PCI buses. And set the boot order. And set the date and time.

ak

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
In one of the BIOS setups (there may be two, mine has two) the hard drive control might be turned off. When I added a second drive to my machine I had to change the BIOS setting so that it would recognize the other drive.

If it wasn't obvious: Write down anything you change, before/after. Don't rely on your memory.

Best if you can post pics (from your phone?).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You do need to get into the SETUP menu and make sure that the hard drive is enabled. That is the first step.
Unfortunately the password that comes on is saved on the hard drive as part of the operating system loading portion, and so erasing the bios will not help in that case. To get around that without loading a new operating system you need an external boot program that allows you to delete the previous password and install a replacement password.

If you are even able to get into the "setup" part, then you may have a chance to enter the hard drive parameters. Since you do not have those, yo will need to copy them off of the hard drive label, where they are quite often found. But getting to the hard drive to read the label involves a number of actions that can make the computer unusable if done wrong.

So you may be better off changing the boot sequence and loading a bootable operating system instead.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
There are multiple password possibilities. I think we're operating on the assumption that the PO is referring to the simple BIOS password to allow the machine to boot, or to get into BIOS. Maybe the OP can clarify this.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello

I have removed the bios battery and re-put it again because I wanted to remove the bios password, and now my computer is not working?

can you please tell me what is happening?

this is the screen that is coming on after I switch the computer on. I changed the boot order and put the hard disk as the first one, but still doesn’t work. it looks like the hard disk does not have any more the software.

Thanks very much.
If the "boot" disk is set to be the hard disk, but none can be found, the computer will revert to a PXE boot in an attempt to find bootable media across the network.

Try cycling power and continually tapping F11 immediately after POST. You should get a BIOS screen menu that prompts you to select the media to Boot. Select the Hard Disk.

If it still doesn't boot, there is a good possibility the SATA RAID/IDE/ACPI settings were reset. Usually IDE is the default. Try setting this to ACPI, save this setting in BIOS. Then perform a "cold boot" by cycling power.

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
If the "boot" disk is set to be the hard disk, but none can be found, the computer will revert to a PXE boot in an attempt to find bootable media across the network.

Try cycling power and continually tapping F11 immediately after POST. You should get a BIOS screen menu that prompts you to select the media to Boot. Select the Hard Disk.

If it still doesn't boot, there is a good possibility the SATA RAID/IDE/ACPI settings were reset. Usually IDE is the default. Try setting this to ACPI, save this setting in BIOS. Then perform a "cold boot" by cycling power.
thanks very much , it worked