Remote Car Engine Starter Ideas

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Has anyone had any experience with one of these things?
Especially has anyone installed one of these things?

This would help me a lot to have one but not sure what kind to get or how hard it is to install. I dont want to spend a week trying to install one.
I see some for as little as 64 dollars USD and although the functionality is not super great it is stated that it will start a car remotely that's all i need, and i can see the car while it is being started so dont really need two way functionality (i can also hear the car start).

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The likely difficulty is to find the location of the appropriate signals in the car that the remote starter must connect to.
If you can get the instructions for one of those that sound feasible, then you could determine where in the car those connections need to be made, and then whether that is more hassle then it's worth to have a remote starter.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A lot of it is going to depend on the car. How temperamental can it be to start manually? I've had cars that you sometimes had to coax in different ways in order to get them to start. I had to learn their idiosyncrasies and how to tell when I had moved from one realm into another. For instance, what had to be done when the engine was warm was different than when it was partially cooled off or when it was completely cold, and if it didn't start of the first couple of attempts, it would never start using that method and I had to move to a different technique. I don't think any kind of remote start would have worked adequately on them. Others almost always started by doing the same simple thing each time, but I would have had a remote start kit that allowed me to replicate those things (like pressing the foot feed once, letting up, pressing halfway, turn key until engine catches, and then let off foot feed -- almost any other sequence would result in a failed start that required a very different sequence to overcome). My current vehicle would probably be trivial, because it only takes a momentary touch of the ignition switch to the start position and then there is already the circuitry to keep the starter engaged until it lights off -- though I recently found out that it becomes super wacky when the battery starts failing and will crank the engine but drop so much voltage as to mess with the electronics. It was like the car was possessed. I was initially convinced that the main computer had probably fried, but throwing it on a boost starter fired it right up and putting in a new battery solved the problem completely.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I had a viper remote start system in an old car, worked great. If your car is manual don’t leave it in gear! Should have put in a lockout but it was an older car that probably didn’t have a neutral sensor. And you need to bypass the clutch sensor. I recommend the viper, had no issue with it. Was nice to have a hot car to jump into during Chicago winters.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
If your car is manual don’t leave it in gear!
Yes indeed! Some fool proof interlock system may be needed. Years ago, a rural fire brigade near where I grew up had a firetruck auto start connected to the siren on the building. A fire call was made and the siren went off then the truck backed out through the rear of the shed. OOPS! No interlock.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I had a viper remote start system in an old car, worked great. If your car is manual don’t leave it in gear! Should have put in a lockout but it was an older car that probably didn’t have a neutral sensor. And you need to bypass the clutch sensor. I recommend the viper, had no issue with it. Was nice to have a hot car to jump into during Chicago winters.
Hi there and thanks for the info.

No need to worry with my car it will not start unless it is in park or neutral, and you can not get the key out of the ignition unless it is in park or neutral.
I'll check out the Viper as you say and see if i can find some instructions, or maybe you have some you can share.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
A lot of it is going to depend on the car. How temperamental can it be to start manually? I've had cars that you sometimes had to coax in different ways in order to get them to start. I had to learn their idiosyncrasies and how to tell when I had moved from one realm into another. For instance, what had to be done when the engine was warm was different than when it was partially cooled off or when it was completely cold, and if it didn't start of the first couple of attempts, it would never start using that method and I had to move to a different technique. I don't think any kind of remote start would have worked adequately on them. Others almost always started by doing the same simple thing each time, but I would have had a remote start kit that allowed me to replicate those things (like pressing the foot feed once, letting up, pressing halfway, turn key until engine catches, and then let off foot feed -- almost any other sequence would result in a failed start that required a very different sequence to overcome). My current vehicle would probably be trivial, because it only takes a momentary touch of the ignition switch to the start position and then there is already the circuitry to keep the starter engaged until it lights off -- though I recently found out that it becomes super wacky when the battery starts failing and will crank the engine but drop so much voltage as to mess with the electronics. It was like the car was possessed. I was initially convinced that the main computer had probably fried, but throwing it on a boost starter fired it right up and putting in a new battery solved the problem completely.
Hi,

Yes that makes sense, and i think it will start ok manually but cant be sure i guess until i get some unit to try on it.
It generally starts ok unless something is really wrong with it, then it's usually no start at all.

Yeah i know what you mean about the battery going low during the crank period. I had a pesky fuel pump relay (with circuitry) that would buzz when cranking some times as the voltage went too low for it to work properly. With a new battery it was better, but i eventually found out the relay had a problem also.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The likely difficulty is to find the location of the appropriate signals in the car that the remote starter must connect to.
If you can get the instructions for one of those that sound feasible, then you could determine where in the car those connections need to be made, and then whether that is more hassle then it's worth to have a remote starter.
Yeah i see what you mean, and i just started thinking about it seriously so im kind of in the dark with everything right now. Dont know what signals it needs or where to connect it so it can somehow bypass the key turn. Maybe ill search a little see if anyone made a video.
Yeah i am hoping it is not too difficult it's getting cold out there :)

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yeah i see what you mean, and i just started thinking about it seriously so im kind of in the dark with everything right now. Dont know what signals it needs or where to connect it so it can somehow bypass the key turn. Maybe ill search a little see if anyone made a video.
Yeah i am hoping it is not too difficult it's getting cold out there :)
There are all kinds of kits and it is plug-and-play on newer models. Some just plug into the diagnostics port. Some cars are pre wired so dealers can offer add-ons. If you buy a vehicle-specific box, you get all of the right adapter cables with a standard control box - generally $150-250.
https://www.amazon.com/Start-X-Remote-Start-Honda-2017-2021/dp/B0B26KY6WR/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=plug+and+play+remote+start&qid=1669646807&sr=8-6&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
There are all kinds of kits and it is plug-and-play on newer models. Some just plug into the diagnostics port. Some cars are pre wired so dealers can offer add-ons. If you buy a vehicle-specific box, you get all of the right adapter cables with a standard control box - generally $150-250.
https://www.amazon.com/Start-X-Remote-Start-Honda-2017-2021/dp/B0B26KY6WR/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=plug+and+play+remote+start&qid=1669646807&sr=8-6&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb
That's a really good idea i'll have to look around for one that is made for my car. I will have to compare prices though too i dont want to spend a fortune on this.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I have the previous generation, they have a nice website with all sorts of information: Viper
Just checked out that web site but they dont seem to have any installation guides at all. Just product information like using the remote and stuff like that.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Al, I have one of these. Years ago I bought one of my wife's trucks from a co-worker. It came with a new in the box AUTOPAGE C3-RS603 remote start package. Still sitting here. If you think it will work for you it's yours. I will never use it. It has the installation manual I linked to with a pile of wires and connectors just like the link all packaged in their original wrap. Again, I will never use it.

Having worked on my wife's Viper system on her current truck I can tell you this much. If I had to do it all again I would buy once and cry once having it all installed. I no longer bend as well as I once did. :) Getting under the dash finding wires is not fun unless the dash is ripped out. On back looking up is not fun for my age. :)

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see those remotely started cars out in the street belching pollution just so the driver can get into a fully warmed car. No matter what, that is producing extra garbage in the air just for somebody's convenience.
My car only warms up during the time I put on the seat belt. By then the oil is circulating and it is ready to make power and drive.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I see those remotely started cars out in the street belching pollution just so the driver can get into a fully warmed car. No matter what, that is producing extra garbage in the air just for somebody's convenience.
My car only warms up during the time I put on the seat belt. By then the oil is circulating and it is ready to make power and drive.
I have to run my car now and then to keep the battery up. Maybe for five minutes every two days.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Al, I have one of these. Years ago I bought one of my wife's trucks from a co-worker. It came with a new in the box AUTOPAGE C3-RS603 remote start package. Still sitting here. If you think it will work for you it's yours. I will never use it. It has the installation manual I linked to with a pile of wires and connectors just like the link all packaged in their original wrap. Again, I will never use it.

Having worked on my wife's Viper system on her current truck I can tell you this much. If I had to do it all again I would buy once and cry once having it all installed. I no longer bend as well as I once did. :) Getting under the dash finding wires is not fun unless the dash is ripped out. On back looking up is not fun for my age. :)

Ron
Hi Ron,

Oh that looks cool but you dont mind shipping it here to New Jersey?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
You might want to peruse youtube for installation videos like this:

or instructables such as this https://www.instructables.com/Installing-a-Car-Remote-Starter/
Thanks i will do that. Up to this point i had no idea what was involved. Ron's reply helped a lot with this now i can see that there is a lot more to it than i would have liked, but maybe worth a try. Once i figure out what the system NEEDS it will probably be no problem i can get wiring diagrams for my car.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Before even spending money on shipping I suggest getting some good lighting and examining the wiring in the vehicle targeted for the installation. The volume of wiring in even my 2017 Caravan is rather massive. And the working space in the engine compartment is not so very much.
So I am suggesting an evaluation of the territory in advance.