Remote Car Engine Starter Ideas

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have to run my car now and then to keep the battery up. Maybe for five minutes every two days.
If your not driving any more than that, why the worry of how long it takes to charge an EV using 120V? That was a reason you gave for not getting one.

For that matter why even own a car? Figure fuel, repairs, insurance, pollution testing and the price of the car. You could take a bunch of Ubers and come out ahead.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I used to Uber on my business trips and then I said I hate waiting for strangers to drive me around and love having my own car. Now I rent cars, I have storage and freedom to drive a little further to check out a better restaurant or sightsee. It’s just nice to have the freedom. I understand that desire to do something like this project. It’s an opportunity to learn and figure things out. If you have the time and desire, why not. Is it easier to pay someone $150 for installation? Yes. A lot of my projects costs me more than buying a ready made solution. But I wouldn’t be where I’m at if I did that.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I might add that I would also consider a hybrid but would not get an EV until the range and charge time is similar to gasoline engine. I’m getting 40-50 mpg on my 2 liter car. I like the freedom to take a road trip without the charge anxiety that comes with EVs. They would be fine for 95% of the time for just normal commuting.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi Ron,

Oh that looks cool but you dont mind shipping it here to New Jersey?
No problem it's on me. Think of it as a Christmas present. Just give me a few days, I have a gimp hip bugging me but I'll get it out. Like I mentioned I'll never use it. :)

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If your not driving any more than that, why the worry of how long it takes to charge an EV using 120V? That was a reason you gave for not getting one.

For that matter why even own a car? Figure fuel, repairs, insurance, pollution testing and the price of the car. You could take a bunch of Ubers and come out ahead.
I am very very sorry to have to tell you this but, you make a very very good point there :)

For what i payed a few months ago for service i could have taken something like 70 Uber trips band and forth to the usual places i have to go.
Yes for insurance alone i could probably actual save money ha ha.
Pollution testing is such a b**** that that may be a good enough reason to drop the car ownership.

The only drawback is the freedom you get when you have to go somewhere even to just the grocery store or pharmacy. It's not too comfortable knowing you cant run out anytime you need to. So all this will take some thought. Maybe in another year or two though.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I used to Uber on my business trips and then I said I hate waiting for strangers to drive me around and love having my own car. Now I rent cars, I have storage and freedom to drive a little further to check out a better restaurant or sightsee. It’s just nice to have the freedom. I understand that desire to do something like this project. It’s an opportunity to learn and figure things out. If you have the time and desire, why not. Is it easier to pay someone $150 for installation? Yes. A lot of my projects costs me more than buying a ready made solution. But I wouldn’t be where I’m at if I did that.
Yes same thing here. When i go out to Los Angeles i have to take Ubers everywhere, almost, and that gets annoying and the cost does add up.
Lucky for me at home i dont have to go out nearly as often so i could be ahead in the game.
Also yes, i'll have to see who could install it around here. I would hope it would be only $150 USD but anymore would be kind of silly.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I might add that I would also consider a hybrid but would not get an EV until the range and charge time is similar to gasoline engine. I’m getting 40-50 mpg on my 2 liter car. I like the freedom to take a road trip without the charge anxiety that comes with EVs. They would be fine for 95% of the time for just normal commuting.
I got a ride in a Tesla a while back and that car was amazing, with the butterfly doors.
They are a bit above my price range though.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
No problem it's on me. Think of it as a Christmas present. Just give me a few days, I have a gimp hip bugging me but I'll get it out. Like I mentioned I'll never use it. :)

Ron
Well that's very generous of you Ron thank you.
As Wolfy was suggesting, maybe i could have someone install it that would take all the crazy wire hunting away. I looked at the install guide and there are a lot of wires to connect. I didnt realize it would be that complicated.

What i would like to do first of course is test it on the bench. I hope there is a way to do that and it would be very interesting too.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello, Mr, I'm new to this website and I don't know how to send a private message. And I want to contact you to ask you a question about my Digital Circuit project in Verilog... If you can give me any of your social media account I would be very grateful...Thanks in advance
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Just click on the name you want to send a PM too and take it from there. If you have any problem you can ask here or in the section for that in this forum.
I'll help you if i can.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The fact is that a personal motor vehicle DOES provide us with a WHOLE LOT OF FREEDOM! And like the saying goes, "freedom is never free". This certainly applies ti cars.
Unfortunately, it seems that there are folks who are convinced that the rest of us should not have that much freedom. That concept is never openly stated, but it certainly looks like that is the idea.
My apology for being off-topic, folks.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
As Wolfy was suggesting, maybe i could have someone install it that would take all the crazy wire hunting away.
Believe me Al unless you can bend and contort like a pretzel I would look for someone to do it. I have it boxed and should get to post office tomorrow. Once sent I'll PM you with a USPS tracking number. Hey if it works for you great and as I mentioned I haven't used it in over 10 years and likely never will.

Ron

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
The fact is that a personal motor vehicle DOES provide us with a WHOLE LOT OF FREEDOM! And like the saying goes, "freedom is never free". This certainly applies ti cars.
Unfortunately, it seems that there are folks who are convinced that the rest of us should not have that much freedom. That concept is never openly stated, but it certainly looks like that is the idea.
My apology for being off-topic, folks.
It would also depend on where you live. It could actually be very convenient if you lived in a densely populated city like Chicago. I’m in the suburb and can’t imagine calling an Uber to go shopping each time I’m in and out of a store.