relay,switch,transitor,mutiplexers. SWITCH way should i go.

dinomight

Joined Jan 9, 2017
Ok, so this is my first post and i'm sure it's something simple that i'm just not getting but here is the lowdown, i have active 3d glasses for my tv. I want to be able to turn a pair of glasses to sync both shutters to R or L or normal where one is R and the other L. It should be a simple feat but one thing beat me down. attached is a picture of the glasses, at the bottom each lens is attached to the MB with a flat ribbon cable consisting of 2 pads. I'm not really sure what is flowing in across the 2 pads(neither is ground or 5v) on each lens, so i wanted to go simple. Easy right? just unsolder the connections on one lens and solder it to the pads on the other side (flipping the pads on one lens). I found a guy on youtube who had done just that. And it works. but i didn't want to permanently change them from R,L to R,R or L,L . I wanted to be able to switch between the three modes, to top it off i wanted it to almost entirely fit inside the glasses when reassembled.
So first i thought i'd get a 4p2t ungodly switch so i could just flip all four pads with a single switch. I realized when i got them (and they turned out to be as big as my thumb, that it might not be the best option :). so then i thought maybe i could use to 2p2t switches for each lens. I found the cutest little switches perfect for my project(see attached photo), i would just have to switch each lens individually (both left, both right, or swapped). Perfect i thought i can fit 2 of these switches in and have my awesome configurable 3d glasses. then i figured out the problem. after i swapped the pads i had to bridge the unused side to "complete the circuit" (according to the guy on youtube) without the bridge the glasses won't turn on. so my 2 switch couldn't do it. :-( then i started to think.... maybe i could use a single switch and use something like a transistor array (smd to fit in the glasses). But i can't figure it out, two many possible configurations. I thought an 8 channel might not be enough if i had several configurations. Then i though an encoder, multiplexer and things started to confuse me too much.
At this point my head hurts which is why i've come here, to figure out if any of these options would work for me. turns out the switch is a 3 position (which i can't figure out how it would help me out.) Does anyone have any suggestions, is there a way to bridge that connection when it the two pads aren't connected to a lens. That would probably be the easiest i would hope. If i could use a transistor array to provide NC and NO states on each pair and if that were the case i could wire the three positions on the single switch to the three states. but i can't think of how to design a circuit with no,nc transistor arrays(darlington maybe or maybe 2 darlingtons(although i think i may be confused as to how those work,are they all just connected to a common line? that doesn't help). can anyone help me figure out a way to do this. 8 total pins 3 configurations 2 bridges.
pin config 1(normal)
lens->MB
--------
1->2
3->4
5->6
7->8
pin config 2 (both left)
1->2
3->4
5->4
7->2
6->8(bridge)
pin config 3(both right);
5->6
7->8
3->6
1->8
2->4(bridge)

I hope that makes sense. I know i'm asking a lot but i'm a little lost with the best way to do it.

Attachments