Relay shield for arduino problems

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Getting a little strange behavior there. Normally with the correct board set, the correct port set and the correct baud rate good code will upload. What I do sometimes when I fail to get an upload I use the Copy button down on the right and just click Copy so I copy all of the error message. Then I open Notepad and just paste it. Makes it easier to read. That assumes I don't have a glaring chunk of code hilighted in red glaring at me. Sometimes I forget to properly terminate a line or forget to declare something. I am not a programmer type, if I had to rely on my programming skills to survive I would be destitute and urinating in gutters, :)

Ron
I felt that statement, but this has only happened one other time and it was because of the cable. I heard sometimes the cables just stop functioning and switching them out fixes the problem.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
initially I tried it with my arduino mega but this happend and I switched it out for my uno and the same thing but when I switched it back it uploaded the sketch to the arduino.

Question about the serial monitor:

If I am right the serial monitor is a form of input communication from you to the arduino yes? if this is true are the "if" statements in the code "key words" I can use to perform the action? i tried to type in the serial monitor and it did nothing.
Referencing the code in post 70, yes, it looks like the main loop just looks for characters from the serial monitor and sets motor or LED states based on one letter commands. It looks like you should be able to control it by typing single letter commands into serial monitor.

Three points to note here:
1) The commands are case sensitive.
2) You have to "send" commands; just typing some letters won't have any effect until you hit send (or maybe hit return, I don't remember now.)
3) You mentioned intermittent troubles getting code to upload, which indicates trouble with your serial connection. Obviously the terminal commands won't work when the serial connection isn't working.

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Referencing the code in post 70, yes, it looks like the main loop just looks for characters from the serial monitor and sets motor or LED states based on one letter commands. It looks like you should be able to control it by typing single letter commands into serial monitor.

Three points to note here:
1) The commands are case sensitive.
2) You have to "send" commands; just typing some letters won't have any effect until you hit send (or maybe hit return, I don't remember now.)
3) You mentioned intermittent troubles getting code to upload, which indicates trouble with your serial connection. Obviously the terminal commands won't work when the serial connection isn't working.
Yes this is correct

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, did you try both COM3 entries? There apparently is a bug in the IDE that creates duplicate ports. I see this when plugging and unplugging the USB programming cable. I just try both entries and one will always work.

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Ok, did you try both COM3 entries? There apparently is a bug in the IDE that creates duplicate ports. I see this when plugging and unplugging the USB programming cable. I just try both entries and one will always work.
It automatically selects both and won't let me choose either or

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Getting a little strange behavior there. Normally with the correct board set, the correct port set and the correct baud rate good code will upload. What I do sometimes when I fail to get an upload I use the Copy button down on the right and just click Copy so I copy all of the error message. Then I open Notepad and just paste it. Makes it easier to read. That assumes I don't have a glaring chunk of code hilighted in red glaring at me. Sometimes I forget to properly terminate a line or forget to declare something. I am not a programmer type, if I had to rely on my programming skills to survive I would be destitute and urinating in gutters, :)

Ron
Yes, you did. I misinterpreted that post. Try this!
  1. Unplug the USB cable
  2. Close the Arduino IDE, all instances if you have more than one running (the IDE doesn’t like multiple copies running, BTW)
  3. Start a singular instance
  4. Connect the programming USB cable
  5. Check that the type of Arduino & port are correct.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable isn’t processed well by the IDE. I have a rule that when I unplug the USB, I close the IDE.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would try the above and just out of curiosity which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? Nice thing about the IDE is you can go into Add/Remove Programs and remove what you have and not remove your sketches and other stuff like libraries. Matter of fact if you download the latest and greatest version it will start the install, see the old version and offer to remove it. Anyway, you may want to think about that.

Ron

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
I would try the above and just out of curiosity which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? Nice thing about the IDE is you can go into Add/Remove Programs and remove what you have and not remove your sketches and other stuff like libraries. Matter of fact if you download the latest and greatest version it will start the install, see the old version and offer to remove it. Anyway, you may want to think about that.

Ron
I'll try the advice above!

I have arduino IDE 1.8.10

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
What Arduino web site are you going to?

I just double checked, and the latest supported version on the Arduino site is 1.8.12 (https://www.arduino.cc/en/main/software).

I'm not sure if your running the IDE on Windows 10 or some other version, but the current supported Windows version is 1.8.33.
That's weird, I could have sworn it was just 1.8.12. anyways I am currently rocking 1.8.33

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My last was 1.8.12 and haven't looked lately and using Windows 10. Intermittent issues like you are having point to either a software issue like the IDE or a hardware issue like the cabling?

Ron

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
That's weird, I could have sworn it was just 1.8.12. anyways I am currently rocking 1.8.33
You said it was 1.8.10. Which is it? The version for Windows 10 should be downloaded from the Windows store. It self identifies as 1.8.12, but parenthetically identifies as Windows 1.8.33. In any way, it could be an IDE problem. You did NOT respond to my troubleshooting steps so I can’t judge if you have a real problem or a PEBCAC issue.

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
And why do you think so?

Since you haven’t posted the results to my troubleshooting steps, I can’t comment.

I think so because many sources tell me that the cable was the main problem. I even saw this when I first encountered the problem. A quick switch on the cable made all the difference. And yes I have tried the steps given to be but none worked.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think so because many sources tell me that the cable was the main problem. I even saw this when I first encountered the problem. A quick switch on the cable made all the difference. And yes I have tried the steps given to be but none worked.
Ok, I guess I cannot help here. Because of a known IDE bug, I’m sure that it’s not your cable. I have the same problem with the standard cable and if followed precisely, the steps I gave you solved my problem.

Are you using a clone? Just curious.

Good luck.