Relay replacement - help with matching pins

unicorncomputer

Joined Aug 1, 2019

I have a couple of bad relays in my 2008 dodge caliber(son's first car)

the relay block is all corroded up and not useable.

I have some other relays and connectors which I believe will work I just am not positive the pin conversion

Old relay is the G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12

The relay I have and want to use is this

can anybody help me connect pins 1-5 to 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a

If it matters, my scenario there is nothing wired to pin 4 of the current corroded relay.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Steve

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Be aware that pins 1 and 2 or 85 and 86 may have a suppression diode or resistor across it. If it is a resistor, it does not matter which way you connect pins 85 and 86 or 1 and 2. If it is a diode, you need correct orientation. The cathode of the diode must face the power side. That means pin 86 must be connected to positive. If it has suppression, do not replace with one that does not. You will quickly regret it.

unicorncomputer

Joined Aug 1, 2019
Be aware that pins 1 and 2 or 85 and 86 may have a suppression diode or resistor across it. If it is a resistor, it does not matter which way you connect pins 85 and 86 or 1 and 2. If it is a diode, you need correct orientation. The cathode of the diode must face the power side. That means pin 86 must be connected to positive. If it has suppression, do not replace with one that does not. You will quickly regret it.

How do I know if it does or not?

Here is part number on original relay

Attachments

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
There is know diode in that relay

If it had a diode it would end in D1 to D4
Its ends with blank It show you on the box.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
There is know diode in that relay

If it had a diode it would end in D1 to D4
Its ends with blank It show you on the box.
There is no diode in this relay but it does show some type of suppression so I wanted to mention it so that he and other people were aware of the possibility. A lot of people change relays without being aware of the suppression and end up taking out modules because of their chioce. In this case, the datasheet shows a 680 ohm resistor so it does not matter which way it goes in.

How do I know if it does or not?

Here is part number on original relay
To know if it does or not, refer to a datasheet if you can find one. One has been provided for you on this relay so you are good to go. You can also look at the schematic on the side of it and you will see the solenoid symbol and then another empty box in parallel with it. Then you have to decide what the empty box means. You can use a DVOM to determine if it is a diode or a resistor fairly easily at this point.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
It shows on most if it has a diode or resistor.
But the best way is to get a maching relay.
Most places can check for a maching one

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Look at post 2 i had to edit the picture after looking at the data sheet got whatch stuff on the net what i posted was what the data sheet shows. After editing the picture