Regulator circle - Vcc port

doronraz

Joined Jun 7, 2022
Hi,
I am looking to use MP1495S regulator.
As you can see I have 7 ports, I confused by the Vcc port.
What voltage should I connect to it?
1654622246610.png
In some pages in the data sheet it say 5v and in some GND.
but, if I need to produce 5v by the regulator, how can I supply it too?
1654622541345.png 1654622563344.png

I hope I was understandable.
BTW, I am an apprentice in the field, so I will be happy if you have good guides / videos to help me practice in circuit design.
Thank you.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's a little confusing since it's shown as an I/O pin, but Vcc is the internal 5V bias voltage.
It's not an input, so no external voltage is applied.

Use the circuit as shown in the bottom right of your post.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You must read and understand the applications information, which describes the operation, not just the connections. The other connections are not all "external input ports."

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Why are You using a Regulator with a bunch of extra features that You don't understand ?
Do You need these features ?,
if You don't, a simple 3-Terminal-Regulator will work just fine.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Why are You using a Regulator with a bunch of extra features that You don't understand ?
Do You need these features ?,
if You don't, a simple 3-Terminal-Regulator will work just fine.
The obvious reason to use it is, the MP1495S is a switching regulator with higher efficiency than a linear regulator.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The obvious reason to use it is, the MP1495S is a switching regulator with higher efficiency than a linear regulator.
It is much easier to get it right the first time than it used to be, but you do have to read the datasheets and application notes with some care, or the firmament will rise up and smite thee.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is much easier to get it right the first time than it used to be, but you do have to read the datasheets and application notes with some care, or the firmament will rise up and smite thee.
I already mentioned those application notes and the spec sheet in post #3. In addition to that, switcher regulators are a lot more critical relative to the arrangement of their connections, because they are more sensitive and also have a much higher frequency response.

doronraz

Joined Jun 7, 2022
It's a little confusing since it's shown as an I/O pin, but Vcc is the internal 5V bias voltage.
It's not an input, so no external voltage is applied.

Use the circuit as shown in the bottom right of your post.
Thank you very much!

You must read and understand the applications information, which describes the operation, not just the connections. The other connections are not all "external input ports."
I read it several time, its my first design, so there are some things that are not most clear to me.
Thanks you too.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Now that the wannabee poets are done, I am wondering how much current the TS wants the regulator to deliver, and is it at 5 volts. That is a guess, based on ????? Wit a switcher that uses external resistors the output voltage can be selected.

The Texas Instruments website has a lot of good information about exactly how to apply different switcher control chips, and that may be a very good place to look and learn. And possibly choose one of those that has the complete design and bill of materials and even a PCB layout. In addition they give good explanations as to why the parts are chosen.